chapter 24

Artemis's POV
I packed and left at 5:30 in the morning out the window careful not to wake the sleeping Jade next to me, I left a note. Grabbing my bag, I took one last look at her sleeping peacefully and leave. Once out I walk down the steps of the fire escape and walk two feet to a beat up looking tarp next to the dumpster. I pull the tarp off to reveal my amazing green and black motorcycle Ollie bought me for my sixteenth birthday so I could travel faster. Swiftly hoping on I take off to the cave. Early I know but if I left while mom and Jade were awake I'd feel to guilty to leave this to them in a way leaving them. Guilt, the thing I felt when mom was paralyzed, the thing I felt when Jade left, the thing I felt when father went to jail, the thing I feel any time I fail. No I can't think about any of that. This time, this team it will be different. I refuse to believe anything else. I arrive at the cave shortly after six so I find myself hanging out in the garage music blasting, working on my project, the only other person who knows it exists is Batman, and only because he walked in on me working on it. I'm actually kind of proud that I have kept it from Robin's knowledge. I've been working on making this for months, it hopefully would work and help my mother. She doesn't deserve what happened to her maybe she did some bad things in the past, but she had changed and no one deserves to be paralyzed. I work on it till freaking Robin walks in. He looks from me to the machine then back at me as if trying to figure out what I am making, to be fair I would be just as curious but still I rush to turn my music of then hide my project away to work on it another time. He asks, "so what is it?" My head snaps to him and I get protective "none of your dang business!" Rob just rolls his eyes and says "now Artemis, why can't you trust us, trust me?" I do what I have perfected over the years, I lie, "I do trust you," he just tuts "Artemis, we've talked about lying, I don't like to be lied to." Dang that usually works so I truthfully murmur "trust issues" it was very quiet but I know he heard. He just nods, "so ms. trust issues, you might want to hide your project better people are going to be here soon, come wait with me?'' I shake my head no, I'm not going to sit around in the cave waiting for everyone with him. Turning around and walking out the door he calls back over his shoulder "oh well, your loss. With that the door closed and i was left to sit and wonder. My phone started ringing I looked over at the screen to see an unknown number, wearily i answer it. My father's sickening voice come through the phone "hello sweetheart, it's been a while," I tense and freeze through gritted teeth i say "WHAT DO YOU WANT" his males voice laughs as if taunting me "you know what i want girl... I want to be free to commit crime in piece without one of you and or one of your wack job friends stopping me, how is your friend anyway wally right?" Without another word i chuck my phone at the wall. the i calm down after about five minutes and lean back onto the bio ship. After a little while they all come in with their bags in hand and I just grab mine without a word and climb on but instead of the normal mission stile of the chairs there were couches for us. Everyone sat down wally next to me and left for the hours away camp trip, I was still tired so my eyes started to droop and my shoulders turned heavy as I lay onto Wally for a quick nap.

Hey magnificent readers thank you for reading this and sticking with it I know I haven't updated in like a month but come on it's summer, i'm busy so thank you so much for reading my lovelys, I hope you enjoyed it.