chapter 43

Wally's POV

Dick turns the chair slowly as if he would snap in half if he moved any faster. He stared at me for a second, here it comes. Then he smiles at me. Holding his hands out towards me to embrace me in a hug.

Teardrops brim my eyes as I walk into his arms. My body finally relaxes and I can breathe again. The nerves of them hating me suddenly become silly. My brain once again betrayed me but it worked out in the end.

Tears flew down my cheeks with no rationality. We sat there together for a while wrapped in hug as if when we let go the other would disappear. My best friend was home, safe. He would be okay.

Dick finally released, "Art hasn't woken up yet, but they just finished getting her all stitched and bandaged up." Pain and guilt played at his face.

I couldn't respond in fear of my voice not coming out and making him feel worse. All I could do was nod. He turned slowly back to Artemis grabbing her hand again.

Taking that as the end I grab the stool next to him and drag it to the other side. The stool went right up next to art across from Dick. I take the seat and grab her other hand. Looking across to his face, I see it all. All of the worry and sadness and anger and guilt. Yeah, he's back but I could tell he would never be the same.

Neither of them would be. Their wounds would heal but what about their minds. We don't even know what happened to them while they were gone! How did they get home?

The question tugs at mind from the minute it enders. There is a part of me that wants to ask but a bigger part that wants me to shut up and stay quiet. To let him sit and not think about it.

"You boys should go to bed, she won't be up tonight," Alfred said coming back into the room. There was no way art would sit alone. I would not leave her alone to sit. For some reason I knew that none us believed that we were going to leave her.

"I'll sleep when she wakes up Alf." Dick all but whispered.

Bruce joined us in the kitchen, "I'm going to try transferring her to the couch that way you two can lay down as well."  I step out of the way, bringing my chair with me He nods over to Alfred to help him as he gathers her top half while Alfred kept her legs straight in line with the rest of her body. They seemed to move unbearably slow to the sectional couch in the living room.

Dick say down on the corner and they laid her down resting her head in his lap. Looking over at him, sitting up halfway, passed out with his arms laying over her. He was acting as protection. There was a fear in him as if if he let go she would disappear. Even here he was still scared.

Even here in the comfort of his own house, with his family surrounding him, he was trying to protect her. He was for all intents and purposes her sister.

That may get even closer to reality with her mom still in a coma. Hey, do you think people can talk to each other in comas? Do you think comas are connected, and like do you have to know them? Can you jump through comas like a channel or something? Like do you pick who you want to hang out with?

There are so many questions I'll have to ask her when she wakes up. I'm really curious now, cause I'll probably never get to experience it, superspeed healing and everything.

My eyes keep dropping closed but each time I peel them up. What if I fall asleep and wake up to no one!? What if I am just wishing for this so much it's all a dream!?

Alfred comes around the corner once more this time with a pile of blankets. The first one goes around Arty. After that he wraps the top of Dick around in a blanket around the couch. Taking another it is pulled onto his legs.

With the last blanket in hand he turns to me. "You must sleep, Mr.  West I will stay up to watch over them." Handing me the blanket he pushes the other couch right up next to the sleeping too. With a large thank you I lay down on it grabbing Art's hand before finally letting my eyes droop closed.

Hey lovelies I can't believe we've made it to 43 chapters! I love you all so much. Thank you all for reading I hope you are enjoying it. The holidays are coming up so make sure to take a break and try to de-stress if this time of year is stressful for you, I know I can get stressed so make sure to stay positive and take personal time if you need it.