chapter 31

Wally's POV

No!
This can't be happening. There in the med bay was my two best friends, sure Rob looked ok but Artemis, Artemis was clinging to life. She still had a freaking knife stuck in her stomach. Her face was full of blood. How could this have happened? This was supposed to be a safe trip. No one was supposed to know where we were!

No, how could this have happened to such an amazing person. That's when my grandmami's words after we lost my parents popped into my head, my sweet little boy, life is a twisted son of b*tch. It takes the ones that are to good for this world, it takes the ones who care for others, but it also takes the bad, you will see as you get older life does not divide between the good and the bad it takes without remorse but the good ones are the ones we miss.
Arts was to good for the world, but it's not her turn it can't be. I don't except that, she helps everyone, someone better keep her alive.
"You love her," the little bird is awake. I turn and wrap him in a hug. "Don't scare me like that again, I thought you were as good as dead." Cackling escapes his lips, "me? dead? never!" Then he looks saddened and adds, almost whispering, "but I should be." This surprises me. Robin is known for many things but having help isn't one, especially admitting it. I want to here this story but sir little bat looks super tired at this moment. He's slumped over with his eyes half closed with his mind in another world. When a yawn escapes within the next three seconds I know it's time for him to sleep, to take a nap.
"Go to sleep, you look like you were hit by a bus then it went back and rolled over you again!"  I said trying to crack a useless joke to make him feel better. It wasn't his fault, Artemis would do it either way. I know that, I hope he does too. There is a smile placed on his lips that doesn't reach his eyes. "Whatever do you mean?! I thought I was date ready!" There's a soft chuckle we share "only for zatanna, now sleep" I command. Who would have thought me being the serious one for once!? Not I said the tired young speedster. Haha cracking bad jokes even in my head.
Batman comes in, "Wally I'm really sorry, if I hadn't taken you children out here none of this would have happened, she'd be at home with her mom and me and Dick would be watching TV with Alfred. You'd all be safe and happy and now one of you is laying on the table clinging to life." What is it with the bats and blaming themselves!  "It's not your fault she would have done it no matter what, it's who she is!" He looked at me with sadness in his eyes "he almost killed her, his own daughter, what kind of parent is that!?" Wait father, I snapped my head up so fast, who is her father, and why would he have done this to such a fantastic person. Batman says "I'm going to find out how soon we can get to the base, we need to hurry or she might not wake up.
As soon as he puts his feet out the door Superboy steps in. "Hey Wally, how are they doing?" I look at him losing hope. "Robin's doing ok tired from all the minor injury's but Artemis was badly hurt, Batman's not sure if she'll wake up." He looks disappointed, "how could we let this happen we should've gone with her we should've made her stay!" He was angry but I wasn't sure if it was at himself or at her or at the team or just at the world.
The world was cruel. No doubt about it. The world didn't care it didn't love. I'm mad at the world I'm mad at myself I'm mad because I know no matter what I can't do anything and that was the worst part about seeing her like this the world had all the power and the world never worked in a hero's favor...

Hey lovlies, school starts soon soccer just started for me and it's time to get back in the swing of things 🥺🥺🥺 wishing you all beautiful people a good day you're all amazing remember that thanks for reading love you all!