8| Partner?

He puts his hand on my knee calming me down.
Tom: "You feeling alright darling?"
Darling? God butterflies...
You: "Yeah I'm okay...

Ping!

You: "Sorry..."
He chuckles again. Dammit that chuckle!
Tom: "Don't be... so when are you ready to start?"
I smile, and rub my wrist. Sometimes rubbing my wrist calms me down. I close my eyes and breathe. My chest feels tight again but I need to breathe.

I breathe in and out. I flinch as I feel a hand on my back moving up and down. I shoot my eyes open.
Tom.
Tom: "Sorry I didn't mean to scare you"
He notices my almost panic. I need to go back to the doctors about my anxiety, it's been getting worse...
You: "I'm sorry about this, I need to go back to my doctor."
He stands up and walks back over to his chair.
Tom: "Don't be sorry for something you can't control. I've told you that didn't I?"
I nod slightly as the corner of my mouth tugs into a smile.
Tom: "Now, I'll ask you again. When are you ready to start?"
My eyes widen at the fact I didn't answer him first.
You: "Sorry, um.. whenever you feel I'm ready?"
He smiles and sits up properly. He places his pen down.
Tom: "Ah I see. Okay how does tomorrow sound?"
You: "Sounds good. Now I just need to quit my other job because- I'm sorry I'm just blabbering"
I put my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands.
You: "Sorry. It's just this is an amazing company and I'm a-"
He interrupts me before I can finish.
Tom: "Before you say you're nobody, you are an amazing worker. I've seen you work. Meetings. I've visited your office. The other day, your email, I saw where you worked and checked it out. I asked about you and you were only working a few days and might as well be the CEO. Then you come here I knew you'd be the perfect person for the person to work beside me. As partners."

Hearing the word partner brings a smile to my face. Am I successful? He puts his hand out for me to shake. I look at it. Then his face. His face. He is giving me a look, the persuasive look.

I'm tempted. God! Okay! I shake his hand as I chuckle excitedly.

Then his sweet chuckle

Then his sweet chuckle. That damn chuckle.