Nine

It's Luke...

He's here and he's speaking to Travis.

I stop before the door where I can hear fractions of their conversation.

"Hey, I'll meet you outside..." Andrea, Scott's girlfriend smiles awkwardly and leaves.

"You! Stupid Erik and this-" He pauses.

"This naive little poor kid-Scott! You're all taking her side and not mine." He spits, loathe lacing his every word. He's drunk...

"There is no such thing as sides Luke. You choose to believe that. It's all your making." Travis speaks calmly.

"No it isn't... My father, he-" His voice cracks.

"He never stopped speaking of her. He stares at her picture on his desk...."

I bring my palm to my trembling lips.

"He used to ask Stewart to look for her grounds. See how she's living, so often and maybe on daily basis."

"And what did she do?"

I wipe my tears and take a few steps closer.
What did I do?

"She didn't approve of him as her father! And here she is, wanting to claim his wealth."

He says and my feet take two daring steps forward.

"So that's what you think of me?" I walk in on them. Keeping my eyes locked with Luke's.

"Do you ever keep your ears to yourself?!" He shoots me a look full of rage.

"I hated him and I never acknowledged his existence?"

"That I didn't need a father in my life?" I say between my sobs. My chest heavy and my throat rough.

"You wouldn't have refused seeing him repeatedly! So many times! He booked flights so many times! He went all the way and came back saying you didn't want him anywhere near you!" He screams in my face.

More tears fall upon hearing all this for the very first time....

"I-"

"You made him feel like shit... For a very long time. Like he's worthless and all alone." He lowers his tone.

"And yet he still gives you fifty one percent of his wealth and acknowledges you as his sole heir and only bloodline." He says dryly, taking a step away from me.

"I never done that." I start to say but he interrupts me.

"Oh bullshit! Your mother sent him dozens of letters saying just that!" He says and it stabs me like a knife through my chest, leaving me breathless.

"My mother?..." I say.

"Why would she?" My head is a mess, my chest is constraining and I can't find a way to place the jigsaw pieces together. Was she trying to keep me away from him? Why would-

"You-" Luke starts to say pointing a finger at me but Travis cuts him off.

"That's enough Luke!" He says and takes my arm seating me on a couch nearby. I haven't noticed how shaken I was.

"Stay away from her she ain't worth it." Luke says lastly and exits the room.

As if my lungs have found their release, I exhale sobs and suffer through my inhales.

Travis takes his seat beside me, gently rubbing my back.

"Relax. Your body is not taking it well. Talk to me." He caresses my hair and continues to gently rub my back in circles.