Forty One

I was to meet with Michael in less than an hour. For our preplanned dinner date...

I've dramatically bursted into silent sobs during my shower. I needed the release... The urge was buried inside me all morning.

I've dried my hair, concealed my puffed lids, applied some light makeup, and changed into a simple black ruffle camisole and a light pair of jeans with a pair of suiting heels.

It was eight and I was all done. But I momentarily dropped on my dressing chair in front of my mirror and stared at myself. Drowned in my own sad thoughts.
Luke was in the other room...

He didn't care if I was going to leave anytime soon with another man.

My eyes start to water again but I blink the tears away and storm out of my bedroom.

I hear Michael's honks out front once I've reached midway down the stairs.

The moment I reach the bottom Luke appears from the library...

"Where are you going?" He asks sternly.

"Somewhere with Michael, for dinner." I don't face him.

"I thought it was just coffee..." He stood in front of me stopping me from reaching the door.

"Luke he's outside. I've got to go." I choose to look everywhere and anywhere but straight into his eyes.

"Do you want to go?" He asks in a hesitant tone.
I nod lowering my gaze.

He takes a step backwards.

I start one foot before the other but then he grabs my arm.

"Go upstairs and put on a jacket..." He orders, avoiding my eyes.

"Or what?" I challenge.

"Nothing. I'm just saying its cold outside." He replies wryly.
"Unless your plan is to end up in his jacket..." He throws me a challenging look.

I surpass him and head upstairs, put on a dark cardigan and get back downstairs.

He was nowhere to be found. When I cautiously look around for him, he appears from behind the wine cellar with a bottle in hand...

I twist the door knob and head outside. My chest constricting at the thought that I haven't seen Luke drink in such a long time! Ever since I've forbade him to. But that's not what hurts the most! It's that he's back to drinking again and I can't help but think that I'm the reason behind it!

"Good evening Emma..." Michael greets me with warmth. I smile at him.

Why can't Luke be this simple?... This carefree...

"Where are you taking me?" I ask as we start on the road.

"Sky roof cuisine." He mentions.

"Didn't hear of it." I remark.

"Good..." He smirks.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You've been such an amusing company..." He notes and we both chuckle.
"We should do that again sometime." He speaks.

"Yes, I guess we should." I grin at him.

Who would have thought, that this man who appeared so almighty and full of himself, would be so humble and so funny with just the right amount of narcissism!

He takes a step closer to me and my breath hitches.
He reaches for my hand and places a soft kiss on my knuckles, his eyes not leaving mine.

No goodnight kiss? Smooth...