Fifty One

"Luke, I hate this hospital..." My heart clenches and I feel a crucial lump form at the top of my throat.

Is it one of fate's doing that this hospital, the one Silver was at, just happened to be where I got the worst news of my entire my life? The passing of the person who was and will always be the closest to my heart?

On a vulnerable instant, I turn my face away from him and grasp my neck forcing the lump down. I almost felt it happen all over again...

He gently turns me around, pulling me to his chest tenderly.

"Emma..." I tremble in his embrace when he soothingly starts to rock me and tighten his arms around me.

"I'm so sorry..."

"Please don't cry..." He whispers in my ears and I pull away to take a deep breath and calm myself down.

I just wished time would go back, and I'd get out of here with her...

Take her back to our place, watch a movie, eat chocolates, gossip about men, and I fall asleep on her lap late at night, with her hand caressing my head as I fall asleep.

Oh mother, why did you have to leave me here? Why didn't you take me with you? Why?...

In this moment, I wished cancer was contagious, because I would've caught it and shared with her my last breaths...

"Are you okay?" He whispers after we enter.

"Yes..." I nod.

He holds my hand tightly as we head to the elevator.

The door slides opens and I step in, stumbling upon my own shoe laces.

The lace was caught in the gap between the floor level and the elevator.

Luke holds the door from closing and I pull the lace out.

The door closes and I walk to the corner to support my back to the wall before lifting my feet to tie my laces but Luke doesn't wait for all that...

He bends down in front of me and I open my mouth to protest, but he soon starts tying my converse laces, while I stood there totally flushed...

I'm embarrassed...

"I was-" He takes my hand in his and pulls me out when we reach the destined floor.

"Thanks." I say and he throws me a diverting frown.

We find Scott in front of a room having a phone call. I let go of Luke's hand...

"Hey-yes-they're here, talk to you later." He concludes his phone call upon seeing us.

"Who was that?" Luke asks.

"Erik." He replies.

"She's in there..." He gestures at the door he was leaning by.

His hand reaches for the door handle but Luke stops him.

"Tell me what happened first." He ushers Scott away from the door.

"Nothing... Actually we don't really know. We were downstairs, the three of us watching TV, until Silver started silently weeping..." He frowns.

"When Andrea asked her what was wrong she said she just remembered something, and that she was feeling a bit tired. Then she excused herself and went upstairs. That's when we heard a thud..."

"She fainted midway up the stairs. Thank god she didn't roll off and reach the end of the stairs." He sighs.

"Is she okay? Is she hurt, physically?" I ask him and he instantly shakes his head.