Forty Five

After four hours of deep negotiations and agreements, the meeting ends in favor of both parties and we're back to our hotel, discussing the remnants of our meeting in the lobby. And before we head to the elevator Michael pulls me away...

"Hey where are we going?" I whisper to Michael as he continues to drag me out of the hotel.
"What are we doi-" My jaw drops.

"That's what we're doing..." He waves a hand towards a sailed gondola and it was by all means...Beautiful! The driver stretched out a slanted wooden step for us to come on board.

"Noway!" My grin widens from ear to ear.
"How did you- but Luke..." I gulp.
"Nah not Luke, Ben."
"Ben will keep Luke company." He smiles and I hardly reciprocate it...

"I told you I'd sneak an hour or two. Now come on, hop in and let's explore!" He takes my hand and I carefully step down and into the little gondola.

~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later...

"Micheal this was..." I sigh as we stood in front of each other and watched the gondola sail away from us...

"The colored houses, the neighborhoods, the river! Ugh... Breathtaking! I swear I could live here!" I tell him and he chuckles.

"Thank you so much!" I say and he instantly pulls me close and we hug.

"You make me feel like I've just done something so big for you..."
"I'm starting to think you haven't seen much from anyone at all..." He whispers and I feel him tighten his hug and smell my hair.
I was relaxed but now I tensed a little...

He's right... I haven't seen much. I have very little experience. And yes a river tour on a gondola in Amsterdam sure is something big for me... But was it that big to all women? Or is it just to me?

I start pulling away because this was getting real awkward...

"Let's go upstairs." He takes my hand in his and my head starts to trash around some unwanted thought...

I wasn't sure if we were still in the friend zone, or if he just stepped out of it...

We enter and meet Ben in the lobby. I instantly let go of Michael's hand and pretend I'm looking for something in my purse. And yes I just pulled out my room card to justify letting go of him.

"Did you have fun?" Ben grins at us.
"Yes! So much fun. Thank you for letting us go!" I grin back.

"Of course! But God, just don't let me face your brother again..." He chuckles worriedly.

"What did he say?" I ask after taking a huge gulp.
"He wasn't against it. He was just worried because you're new here, it's a foreign country, might not be safe out there, and stuff like that." He informs me and Michael picks up a phone call.

"You know Emma, Luke really worries about you..." He says and my heart takes a leap.

"I know..." I smile timidly.
"Do you know where he is?" I ask.
"Yes, he went to bed. He asked me to wake him up an hour before we get going." He says and I worry...

But-but he told me we would talk tonight...

I don't wait for Michael, I excuse myself, and head to the elevator.

When I reach the eighth floor I make my way to Luke's room and knock thrice.

I tuck my loose hair strand behind my ear and noiselessly clear my throat.

He doesn't open...
I knock again a little firmly.

No response or any vital signs coming from inside.