Thirty Eight

LUKE'S POV AS WELL:

I watch in silence as Erik dramatically bows down on one knee and my head magically mutes the voices surrounding me.

The yells, the squeals, the laughter, and the congratulates...

I was proud of Erik for taking such a decision. I honestly never thought he'd commit.

From the several times I've interacted with Stacey, I've known she was the right one for him, just what he needed...
She's bold, honest, lively, and beautiful.

"Luke!" Someone calls...

The girl in a short chocolate plum dress, with the beautiful flowing hazel hair locks and the heart arresting smile.

There goes the red rash that invades the top of her cheeks every time I get an eye full of her on her notice.

"Earth to Luke!" She snaps a finger at me.

I smile.

"I apologize..." I continue to sip on the champagne in hand.

"Why are you so distant?" She asks.

"Father would've bet all his money for a scene like this one..." I point at Erik who was now dancing with his fiancé in the heart of the dance floor between the crowd.

She smiles sadly then turns to meet my line of sight.

I tear my gaze away from the happy couple and inspect the pretty lady who stood by my side.

Will I be sitting this way as I watch another man do that to you Emma?

I blink away when she turns her attention back to me.

"What are you thinking about?" She stood in front of me.

Trust me, you do not want to know...

"You..." I didn't have to lie about that though.

Her eyes slightly widen.

"What about me?" She smirks.

The little wrinkle at the side of her lip appears.

Those lips revitalize a taste linked to a special memory...

My guts preform a sharp twist, one that implies hunger.
Not quiet the hunger though...
It was more like,...
Well, desire...

"Did Ben talk to you about the extra courses?" I halt my wayward thoughts and replace them with a productive matter of conversation.

"Yep!" She wraps her arms behind her back.

"Well?" I speak.

"I thought you were going to keep me in the finance department." She speaks.

"I've decided against. I want you to become a senior manager." I say and she worries her lower lip.

"Why hire some stranger with a thirteen pages long resume if we have a reliable Kent who I believe can do more than just check and sign financial documents. Instead, maybe set the financial strategies herself..." I sum up.

Her expression lightens.

"You believe that?" Her voice comes out diffident and surprised.

I smile.

"Yeah, and I want you to prove me right..." I tell her and she takes no time before nodding at me.

"Now go have fun." I jerk my chin towards the dance floor.