Fifty Two

We both jolt awake at the sound of Luke's disturbing alarm.

He shifts into a seated position then exhales deeply, rubbing the back of his head.

"What's that for?" I ask and my voice surprises me...

Even Luke turns to inspect me.

I cough clearing my throat and try again...

"It's-what the-" I cough again.

My voice was gone! It was cracked so gravely.

It came out husky and breathy.

I place my hand over my neck and swallow. My throat didn't hurt though...

"Are you okay?" He asks his expression masked with worry.

"I do-don't know..." I say and his frown deepens.

I cough again but he shakes his head signaling for me to stop.

"Don't, you'll hurt your throat. We'll see a doctor for this." He sighs rising and taking me with.

I rise and my gaze lowers to my bare legs and so does his.

I flush and then flush harder after inspecting his warm morning smile.

The memory of last night rushes into my brain and my face falls.

You wouldn't imagine how hard it was to pull away from each other after one really intense make out...

What's worse, he was the one who wanted to pull away more...

He clearly didn't want to though, because of how he suffered until he was able to pull away, but...

I had this unsettling feeling afterwards. I remember I forced myself to sleep on it...
I honestly don't know what to think anymore...

"What is it?" He caresses my cheek.

"Nothing..." I sort of say and roll my eyes hopelessly. Where the hell did my voice go?!

"Do you take your meds?" He asks.

"Yes, I take each and every one of them on time." I say and my voice worsens, starting to fade after only three words.

"Go get dressed, and we'll go get you checked up." He commands.

I nod.

"But work-" I say before leaving.

"It can wait." He says dismissing me.

I turn to my room, wash up, and change into a simple sequin shirt and a dark pair of jeans.

"Hello?" I pick up.

"Emma, did you talk to Luke about dinner at the O'Neil's?" Stacey rushes and before I answer her, Scott was on the other end.

"Emma, please convince him. I beg you..." He says.

"This could be our only chance of ending this silly quarrel..." He adds.

Luke appears behind me.

"I'll see what I can do." I say.

"Wait-why are you whispering?!" Scott asks.

"I'll explain later." I force my voice to come out but fail miserably.

I hang up.

Luke jerks his chin towards my phone asking who it was.

"Stacey..." I whisper. Some odd expression lifts and he nods at me once.

"Let's go." He ushers me outside. I frown.