Forty Two

With not a prior thought or a moment of contemplation I own his face between my hands and press my lips against his.

He inhales sharply before grabbing me by the waist and pulling me the closest to his hip.

We drown in the heat of subsequent passionate kisses. My lip between his, his lips between mine, sucking and biting, and fulfilling a colossal want that agonized our souls, lastly submitting to our desires.

I'm so warm right now, so wide awake, so in love...

I choke upon that thought and instantly pull my lips away but rest my forehead against his.

I part my lids and the sight of him punches my heart with a fist. His eyes were still so red, but they were filled with tears, dampened, and restless.

He blinks once and a tear escapes one eye.

I immediately reach for it before it falls off of his cheekbone.

I wipe it with my thumb and caress his cheek.

He took my hand and placed my open palm against his lips, placing a soft kiss that lingered.

The spikes of his beard and his soft lips against my palm gave me delirious goose bumps that spread through me.

His eyes were sealed shut, and he was respiring heavily.

I felt all my nerves tighten for a couple of moments. My breath got caught and my whole mind revolved around one thought. One confession that I chose to voice, because I knew if I didn't I might just go through a heart attack right now...

"I'm in love with you..." I whispered and a tear residing my right eye finds its cue.

He inches backwards and regards me with slightly widened eyes.

I lower my gaze.

I didn't want to see this...

"Do you mean it?" He asks and I'm kind of thrown by his question.

I just stated the flashing obvious!

Didn't he know it already?

"What do you think?" My eyes start to water again.

This time I was staring at him.

His face revealed an insecure expression although his eyes implied he was currently drowned in thought.

"Don't reply to that..." I dismiss my question.

I want him to let that sink in. I didn't want to rush him into saying anything.

"I-" He starts to say but I place two fingers against his wet swollen lips.

"Don't..." I place a soft kiss on his lips and detach myself before I deepen it.

"Let's sleep..." I ease off of him and his arms hang in the air for a moment or two.

I walk towards my side and slide under the covers.

He turns and does the same. He then reaches for me but I remember something so I dodge his arm.

"One more thing..." I rise and reach for the air conditioning panel and set the room temperature to eighteen.

When I turn, his frown has reduced and a faint smirk took over.

I start walking back to my side but he reaches for my waist midway and lifts me off my feet placing me on top of the bed right by his side causing me to squeal.

I giggle when he let me go and then slide under the covers.

He spoons me and this time our fingers entangle across my chest.