Forty Three

As usual, the noise, the lit chandeliers above the dining table, the variety of cooking scents.

It's a good thing the girls were all busy in the kitchen.

Emma, Andrea, and Stacey...

I try to make my way to the stairs without being seen but that was just impossible.

"Hello Luke." Stacey chirps.

I approach them with a smile.

Emma was wearing a kitchen apron, her hair tied high, and she was furiously mixing something in a bowl. Avoiding my sight...

"What's cooking?" I address Stacey but my eyes were focused on Emma, who I hoped would spare me a glance.

Something was definitely off about her today.

I went to her office twice, she didn't allow me in. Yet, she let Michael in all the time!

And then when I called her secretary and assured her that I'd be taking Emma home and not Micah, she told the secretary to cancel with me.

"Nice..." I nod at whatever Stacey just listed while I was drowned in thought.

"Umm-who's coming?" I ask and this time Andrea replies.

"Some of Stacey's friends, some of mine, Alex is coming too, and of course you guys..." She lists timidly.

I realize I've neither checked Andrea out nor had any sort of chatter with her. She's such a sweet young girl. How the hell did she end up being Silver's sister? Although I do remember Silver had Andrea's demeanor once, it's what I loved about her. God only knows what happened...

"Oh, I thought it was only us..." I mutter.

"Emma?" I call for her attention.

"Yep?" She replies without even turning to me!

"Who dropped you back home?" I ask.

"Oh, umm-Michael did." She spares me a stony glance. Even Andrea and Stacey turn to regard her.

"Alright, you ladies do your thing. I'll be up in my room." I smile at Stacey and Andrea and excuse myself.

I felt my chest get set on fire and I wasn't capable of extinguishing it...

One part, I'm grateful for Emma's odd behavior, and the other part killed me to know what had happened for a flip as such.

Was it because I still didn't confess I loved her back?

It couldn't be...

I can't imagine Emma would think that way...

The reason I was grateful is because I didn't know what to do about our story.

If she only acted herself, maybe things were going to be easier.

Maybe she'd make it clear to me. Guide me like she used to...

After an hour or two, someone makes a soft knock on my door.

I instantly get to my feet and swing the door open.

I let out a caught breath upon seeing Andrea look up at me as if I was a giant monster.

"Dinner's ready and everyone's here..." She informs me with a smile.

"I'll be right downstairs." I smile back at her.

I really did wish it was Emma at the door...

I get back inside, put on a light linen shirt over my dark jeans and step back out heading downstairs.

There she was, her hair tied back with a rosy elastic band, in the midst of all the other plastics...