Thirty One

"Emma! Is that you?" I hear Stacey's voice escalate from down the stairs.

I hastily wipe my tears off my face and take long strides away from Luke's door.

"Hey!" I muster cheeriness.

Both Stacey and Erik frown when they meet me at the top of the stairs.

Of course!

Acting cheery all at once doesn't work magic to ones features.

"Are you okay?" Erik asks and I let out a strained sob.

Stacey invites me in her embrace and I nuzzle into her.

"I'll be okay..." I mutter in her shoulder, informing Erik.

"Can Stacey stay with me tonight?" I ask and he instantly nods.

"Of course." He ushers us to my room and we walk inside.

"What is it?" Stacey says when we both sit atop of my bed.

"God, I've missed you!" I say upon realizing I haven't been alone with Stacey since forever.

"Really?" She smiles sadly at me and I nod at her.

"Start speaking..." She sits crossed legged across from me and calmly speaks.

I sigh in distress.

"God, you are so not going to digest this..." I tell her.

"I'll try with all my might, come on." She caresses my hand.

"Okay, but promise me you're never going to tell anyone anything or show any signs of knowledge of what I'm about to tell you."

"Erik, Scott, just-"

"No one, Stacey. At all." I eye her warily.

She lifts one hand up, gesturing her pledge.

"Stacey..."

"Luke and I-" I pause and the tears well up again.

"Fought again?" She says but her eyes were wide with shock upon the first guess that crossed her mind. It couldn't have been more obvious...

I don't speak, I just eye her, silently approving of her thought.

Her lips slightly parted, but then her jaw fell all at once.

"You-" She begins to say but I interrupt her.

"We like each other..."

"Stacey I think I like him, and not in a brotherly way..." I say and swallow back a persistent sob.

"But-" She says again.

"Stacey I know, but he's supposed to be your brother and I'm supposed to be his sister. He kept telling me he doesn't consider me a sister and I could've hinted it, but he was too cautious about not exposing any of his feelings."

"But then when I finally got the hint, I pushed him to tell me something, anything."

"And then he spilled it all out."

"And God-" I let out a shaky sigh.

"Was I pleased?!"

"I was!"

"But then I felt this sharp pain in my chest..." I stop myself from speaking and hug my knees to my chest, liberally weeping in my own embrace.

Why was I feeling so guilty?!