Fifty Three

Luke's POV:

"What is it Silver?" I question her hesitant expression.

She lowers her gaze and ticks her lips.

"It's just that-It feels like, my life is good again... That God has given me another chance to do this right, with my father, my family, and with umm-you..." She concludes with a warm smile.

"Yeah..." I smile back, not wanting to overthink this.

"Thank you Luke. Truly..." She nods and before I nod back her lips were on mine...

In a blink of an eye, she was all over me...

I don't kiss her back. I hardly part my lips before gently reaching for her waist, gripping her once.

She let go...

I inspect her emotional expression and frown.

How can anyone feel that way with someone who doesn't feel the same way?

The kiss was strange...

It felt foreign, alienated. I remember kissing those lips, but the passion was missing.

The affection wasn't there...

"You're welcome." I take a step backwards, frowning at her.

"Luke, is there any chance you could-" She says breathlessly and the look I give her stops her right there...

"Give me another chance?" She adds in a rush.

"Silver..." I shut my eyes in agony. I hate having to go through this...

"You are my sister now... It's not about chances-" I pause and she soon interrupts.

"Is there someone else?" She asks her eyes already starting to fill.

"Yes, Silver. There's someone else... Someone I don't think I can really have." I say and the first tear leaves her left eye.

"Please don't cry... Silver, please!" I grip her shoulders.

"Okay. I won't. Thank you for telling me. This makes everything easier..." She says in a rush and leaves me with a hurt smile.

"Come back here." I speak abruptly.

She turns around and I reach her in two strides.

"Listen to me." I cup her face between both my hands and look into her eyes absorbingly.

"I am not worth one of your tears Silver, do not cry about this. Don't get hurt, I don't know you for that. You're one of the strongest women I've ever met. I want you to be that! And I also want you to know that whoever's going to be with you, will have to go through me first. Get my approval for this. You're not just any girl. I won't let you go that fast... Do you understand?" I conclude and she chortles tearfully.

I let her go and she nods devotedly.

"Yes, sir." She grins wide, dabbing her tears off.

I smile at her.

"That's my girl." I wink, taking her under one arm. She giggles.

"You're the best..." She grins and I do too.

We walk out together and my lungs open wide, inviting the chilly breeze in.

What a relief!

When we get closer to our spot, both Scott and Andrea have returned, along with Kate but, Erik was busy on his phone and both Stacey and Emma were missing.