Twenty Three

My health has been deteriorating in this house. My body so tensed up all the time, my mind so busy, been emotionally unstable too, what could there be more coming for me?

For the first time, I use some of Stacey's concealer, and pray it conceals the disturbed uneven skin under my eyes.

I yawn my entire trip down to the kitchen before finally helping myself with a cup of coffee.

"You're awake..." Erik says softly.

"And so tired..." I sigh.

"Me too." He takes his seat beside me.

"Where's Stacey?" I ask.

"She went to her mom this morning." He answers.

"So, what happened yesterday?" He asks and my body tenses for no reason.

"What?" I ask.

"How'd Luke end up putting you to bed?" He asks regarding me.

"He drank a whole bottle of some thing yesterday..." I start to say.

"And?"

"And I wanted to take advantage of his lightheadedness and make him speak. Open up to me but no, his head is so thick. I doubt alcohol even works on him."

"So, he politely kicked me out of his room." I conclude.

"Made sure I'm tucked under my covers, so that I won't come after him again." I chuckle.

"Where is he by the way?" I ask.

"We went to work together, he's probably still there." He speaks but he looks distant.

"Erik?"

"What is it? You look dreamy." I nudge him.

"No I don't..." He denotes.

"Everything good with Stacey?" I ask.

"Yeah, we had sex last night and acted like total strangers in the morning..." He says all at once and my jaw drops open.

"What?" I ask breathily.

"She just got dressed up, told me she had an important "Thing" to do with her mom, and left..." He air-quotes.

"Umm-" I can't find the right words.

I can't help it but think that the sex was amazing, and Stacey being her uncanny self, she left thinking she was not good enough.

"Maybe it was bad..." He states and I widen my eyes at him.

"No Erik, Stacey umm-" I look for a similar approach to saying this.

"You know how when kids get something done and bite at their nails afterwards until you tell them what you think of it? It's um-quite similar.." I illustrate.

He scratches the back of his head looking dumfounded.

"What?" He asks.

"She wants to know what you think of it."

"Until then, she'll avoid you." I say and he chuckles.

"Emma, it was-" I stop him from ongoing.

"Go tell her that... Not on phone though..." I gesture a thumb at the door.

~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the day! The day I get into the dress that got me falling in love at first sight through the spotless glass display of Luis Vuitton.

A glimmering red sophisticated dress that fell right before the knees. The dress was not ostentatious; it covered up my whole upper body apart from its half sleeves that revealed my arms. It was simple, elegant, and the color was quite daring.