CHAPTER THREE- I PROMISE I'LL BE BACK EARLY

New version.

----------------------------------

Yoriichi and his little brother Tanjiro stood in front of their house with baskets full of charcoal on their backs, saying goodbye to everyone. 

"Big brothers, you guys going to town again?"

"I'm going with you!"

said a little boy and girl.

"No you're not. You can't walk as fast as Yoriichi or Tanjiro," said an older woman.

"Kaa-chan!" whined the little boy stomping his feet in the snow.

"You may not. Since they can't use the cart today, they can't give you a ride if you get tired," reasoned their mother, making her two children pout.

"Nii-chan!" said the little boy hugging Tanjiro.

"I wanna go with you! I promise I'll help you!" said the girl looking at Tanjiro and Yoriichi.

Tanjiro pat the little girl's head and replied, "thank you Hanako. This mdae the girl smile before he continued and said, "but you're staying home today," causing the girl's expression to change.

Tanjiro then knelt down to the little boy's level and placed a hand on his cheek saying, "You too Shigeru, but I'll bring you tons of goodies ok?"

"Really?!" asked the boy happily.

"Yeah," replied Tanjiro, making the boy smile.

"And Hanako, I'll read to you when I get back with Yoriichi-niisan," said Tanjiro turning to the girl.

"Okay!" said the girl now also smiling.

Tanjiro then stood up next to Yoriichi and looked at their mother.

"Okay, we'll be heading out now."

A little boy walked up to them holding an axe.

"Takeo, can you chop as much wood as you can?" asked Tanjiro, turning to the boy with the axe.

"Sure, I'll do that, but I was hoping we could do that together. You, Yoriichi-nii and I," replied Takeo, looking the other way shyly.

Tanjiro walked up to Takeo, before smiling with his eyes closed, patting the shorter male on the head, "There, there," said Tanjiro with his eyes still closed.

"What's that all of a sudden!" said Takeo, shaking Tanjiro's hand off his head.

"You're blushing Take-nii!" exclaimed Shigeru.

"Hey you shut up!" said Takeo his face getting even redder by the second. 

Yoriichi stood there with an emotionless expression on his face, watching his younger siblings interact with each other. Then, he heard the noise of feet stepping on snow coming towards him. He turned around and saw that it was his younger twin Michikatsu, who looked nervous.

"You better come back soon ok?" said Michikatsu.

"I will," replied Yoriichi with no emotion.

After seven years has passed, Yoriichi still did not show a lot of emotions around others. It was still mostly only around his younger twin which made the others worried because they thought he might not even have any emotions at all. There were some moments where he was able to display some sort of emotion on his face, but that was very rare.

"You remember our promise right?" questioned Michikatsu.

TIME BREATHING: SECOND FORM - FLASHBACK

Michikatsu looked around and realized he was in a place that he didn't recognize however, even though he could not remember being there, his surroundings somehow felt familiar.

He looked in front of him and realized his older twin Yoriichi, was standing right in front of him but he was wearing different clothes and had a bag in his hand. He tried to say something when he realized, he couldn't. No matter how hard he tried to get his words out, it seemed like his voice did not work.

"Do you really have to go?" he asked.

It felt like he had no control over his own body. He didn't know what was happening but it seemed like his body did from how those words just seemingly slipped out of his mouth.

"I think it might be for the best," replied Yoriichi.

Yoriichi then turned around walking away without looking back. He held a bag in one hand and clutches a wooden flute in the other. Although Michikatsu did not have control over his body and was severely confused, he felt tears rolling down his face. 

"Wait.... don't go.... please," Michikatsu reached his hand out towards Yoriichi, but his twin did not turn around as tears continuously flowed down his face.

Then, he felt someone grab onto his leg. He looked down and saw it was a little boy with brown hair and red eyes. He couldn't hear what the little boy said, but he knew the boy was in pain. The boy too was crying a lot and his grip on Michikatsu's leg was quite strong for a small boy like him.

Michikatsu then woke up gasping for air. It was a dream, but it felt so real like something that had happened before, however it never did to 'him'. When he saw Yoriichi about to walk out, he grabbed his hand.

"Don't leave me please," Michikatsu pleaded softly, tearing up.

Yoriichi turned around with a worried face, seeing Michikatsu about to cry.

"I promise I won't."

END OF FLASHBACK

"Why can't I go with you two?" asked Michikatsu.

"If all three of us go then who will protect the younger ones? The three of us are the oldest so it's our responsibility to protect our younger siblings but if we all go then we can't," explained Yoriichi.

"......."

"Stand still," Yoriichi then took off his left earing and attached it on Michikatsu's left ear.

"Why did you give me one of your earings?" asked Michikatsu.

"To seal two promised. One, I will come back early and two, I won't leave you either," replied Yoriichi.

Yoriichi then started to walk away with Tanjiro following after him, leaving their footsteps in the snow that lead far away from their warm house.

"Bye! Hurry back ok!" their family waved goodbye to Yoriichi and Tanjiro.

TIME BREATHING: FIRST FORM - TIME SKIP

After Yoriichi and Tanjiro sold all of their charcoal in the the town and helped the villagers, they started making their way back home. 

Soon, it started getting quite late. The sky was getting darker as the sun began to set. The air got even colder from the lack of sunlight and the mist that would appear when you breathe or speak became easier to see.

 On their way back home, an old man called Saburo invited them in his house. He gave them food and convinced them to stay for the night saying something about 'demons'. 

Yoriichi sat on the futon Saburo gave him, staring up at the night sky. For some reason, a bad feeling starting to swell up in his stomach, and he couldn't shake the feeling off no matter what.  'I wonder if the others are alright at home,'  thought Yoriichi.

Maybe if Yoriichi had gone home early with Tanjiro just like he had promised, things would've been different.

TO BE CONTINUED...