CHAPTER SIX - SPIRITS? GHOSTS?

New version.

------------------------------

It's been two years after Urokodaki had taken in the Kamado siblings. When they first came, they had to complete a test that Urokodaki had set up. They both passed and was accepted as Urokodaki's student. 

Urokodaki had taught them the forms of water breathing and total consecration however, unlike Tanjiro, Yoriichi struggled to master water breathing. It wasn't that he couldn't go in the right form, it was like he couldn't use the breathing at all. It was very strange however, he made up for it with his strength and he was surprisingly good at swordsmenship. His only problem was, he somehow was not able to use water breathing.

"I can no longer teach you anything," spoke Urokodaki.

"What?! Did we do something wrong? Is it because nii-san can't use water breathing?" asked Tanjiro.

"That's not it. You've done well in my teachings. It's not because Yoriichi can't use water breathing either, I am still proud of his swordsmanship. It's because I no longer have anything to teach you. Now it's all up to you guys. You have to live up to my expectations and advance to the next level. Follow me," said Urokodaki before leading them to two big boulders.

"If you can cut these boulders in half, I'll allow you two to enter for the final selection." 

Tanjiro took out his blade and swung it at the boulder, but it didn't even cut the boulder. 

"I can't cut it," said Tanjiro.

Yoriichi then tried to cut his boulder, but the boulder did not split into two.

"I can't either. I can't even use a breathing," said Yoriichi.

"Then you two can't become demon slayers. And Yoriichi, you need to learn a breathing if not, I won't allow you to enter the finale selection exam," waved Urokodaki before walking away.

Yoriichi began to practise swinging his blade while Tanjiro continued to try and cut the boulder. It wasn't that Yoriichi wasn't confident that he could but the boulder but... Yoriichi stared at the extremely thin line on the boulder, that went through to the other side. He had already cut it, it's just not very visible. He had pretended to be unable to because he did not want to leave his brother behind.

Yoriichi looked over to Tanjiro's side and got confused. It looked like Tanjiro was talking to air as if it was a person. He was even swinging his blade at the air as if he was fighting someone. 'Did he get so tired that he started to hallucinate?'  thought Yoriichi. 

WITH TANJIRO

"I'm Sabito," introduced a boy with orange hair with a white fox mask that looks like it has a scar on it.

"I'm Makoko. Sorry for the way Sabito acted before," said a little girl with black hair and blue eyes.

"It's alright I guess," replied Tanjiro.

WITH YORIICHI

Yoriichi decided to go to the cliff of the waterfall to relax for a bit. 'Now what should I do? I can't use water breathing no matter how hard I try. What if I can't become a demon slayer along with Tanjiro? No, I have to. If I don't, I might not be able to save Michikatsu and Nezuko or help Tanjiro.'  thought Yoriichi. 'That vision that I saw... I don't want it to happen.' 

"Don't think so hard." said a voice.

"Who's there?" asked Yoriichi grabbing his sword besides him.

"I'm over here Yoriichi"

Yoriichi turned to his right and saw....... himself? There was an older version of Yoriichi standing there with shadows covering his eyes. 'Who is he? Why does he look like me? He even has the earring,'  wondered Yoriichi.

"Don't look so alarmed, let me answer what you're probably wondering right now. I am Yoriichi, you are also Yoriichi. We look the same, even our voices sound nearly exactly like each others. But do not fear, I am not a demon. I am no longer alive."

"So technically you're a spirit- a ghost. But why are there such coincidences like this? What's your family name?" questioned Yoriichi.

"I'll only tell you a part of it, 'Tsugi'. That's all you need to know. You'll find out sooner or later."

"Why are you here anyways? What do you want with me? Is it because we coincidently look similar so you want me to pretend to be you and see your family or something?" asked Yoriichi.

"There's no need for you to pretend to be me. Before you think of anything else, I'll tell you now that I'm over 400 years old. I was alive in the Sengoku Era. I've been dead for a long time."

"That long? Anyways, why are you here? You wouldn't have appeared for no reason right?" asked Yoriichi.

"Correct. You see, I'm going to help you with your breathing."

"Water breathing? How can you help? I can't even use it even though I have the right form. Were you a previous user of water breathing?" questioned Yoriichi.

"I was not. I helped invent it. You see, I was a user of 'sun breathing', also known as the 'first breath'. I will teach you that."

"But I'm currently learning water breathing."

"To protect your siblings, you must master sun breathing. The fact that you are unable to learn water breathing just means that fate has something else in mind for you." 

"Then why don't you teach my younger brother Tanjiro that? Maybe he would've been a better choice than me," spoke Yoriichi.

The older Yoriichi just shook his head and replied,  "no, you're just right for this. There's a reason I chose you instead of your brother. It's not his duty to end this. The revenge that you must get is different from him."

"What do you mean by that? Tanjiro and I are siblings. The sufferings that we've gone through are the same, so how could my revenge be different from his?" Yoriichi became confused.

"One day.... you'll remember," the older Yoriichi turned around and began to walk away.

"Remember what?"

"A nightmare you wish was never true." 

TO BE CONTINUED...