CHAPTER ONE

Caitlin leaned against the brick wall outside of the Apple Rose Grille, her hand playing with the diamond infinity necklace that hung on a silver chain that lay on her chest

Caitlin leaned against the brick wall outside of the Apple Rose Grille, her hand playing with the diamond infinity necklace that hung on a silver chain that lay on her chest. She was currently waiting for her sister who was waiting in line to order coffee for the two of them before she drops her off for her first day of junior year. The cold air nips her tan legs that were exposed through her red and black pleated skirt . She pulled her black leather jacket closer together to try and conceal herself from the early morning breeze.

Her piercing green eyes travelled across the busy streets of Rosewood, patiently waiting for her older sister to come out with their order. She wasn't too worried about being late seeing as the Scott sisters woke up particularly early just so they could get their usual morning coffee, like every first day of school morning.

Her eyes flickered to the newspaper stand that was a couple of metres in front of her. She felt her whole body tense up when her gaze lands on the newspaper that was sitting on the stand. Her feet involuntarily started moving towards it, almost like a magnet was pulling her towards the newspaper that displayed her best friend's bright smile. She looked so innocent but Caitlin knew Alison was anything but innocent. Her mind couldn't help but wander back to that particular night. 

The night where everything changed.

FLASHBACK

Caitlin pushed the Hastings' barn doors open, stepping inside the barn that was decorated with couches, chairs and a few candles for their 'last day of summer' slumber party. Music and laughter fill her ears once she shut the double wooden doors behind her attracting the attention of the four girls sprawled out across the couches and chairs.

Emily lifted her head up, smiling widely from the lawn chair she was sitting on when she saw Caitlin standing near the doors, "Caity! There you are!"

Caitlin smiles walking over to the girls who were sipping from their red solo cups that were filled with the alcohol that Hanna had provided after raiding her mother's wine cabinet. Emily leaned over Hanna who was seated on the lawn chair beside her holding a red solo cup filled with alcohol for Caitlin to take. Caitlin takes it gratefully needing something to take her mind off from the event that had just occurred before she got here. She took a large sip, drowning the entire cup, allowing the alcohol to travel down her throat.

"Woah," Spencer chuckled as Aria filled up Caitlin's cup once she took a seat beside Spencer, the rest of the girls looking at her in amusement, "what's got you skulling your drink?"

The girls knew Caitlin was a drinker, it was part of her party-girl nature, but she usually eases into it before going hard, and at this moment they knew something was bothering their friend.

Caitlin froze slightly at the question, racking her brain for some sort of lie she could tell them. She knew she couldn't tell her friends where she actually was, it would only bring more questions, and she'd rather not relive the fight she had with her boyfriend, "Brandon needed me to help him pack for UPenn." Caitlin rolled her eyes to make it seem believable which seemed to work since the girls all started giggling, probably from all the alcohol they had consumed before she arrived.