CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"I was afraid she wouldn't get it done in time for the memorial," Aria and Spencer pushed the large crate into the Hastings living room which had been the headquarters for planning Alison's memorial

"This was someone from your mom's gallery?" Hanna asked reading the newspaper on the long cushioned seat with Caitlin on the other side, her back facing the girls who were pushing the crate. Emily stood up making their way over to Spencer and Aria to help them open the crate.

"Right," Aria nodded unscrewing the crate's lid with the screwdriver.

"Where is your mom?" Caitlin asked turning around in her seat to face the girls.

"There's an apartment above the gallery," Aria explained looking up from the box for a brief second, "so she's staying there. For now."

"Kind of weird, isn't it?" Hanna questioned still looking down at her magazine, "your mum moving out?"

"Yeah, like my dad should have left," Aria scoffed looking back at Hanna, "that's what you'd expect."

Hanna looked down slightly hurt by the comment making Caitlin snap turning around to glare at her, "Aria!"

"Hey, I'm sorry," Aria sighed apologising looking up to meet Hanna's hurt gaze, "I didn't mean it like that. The whole thing just sucks."

"I know," Hanna nodded, giving her a small sympathetic smile.

"Did anyone call Shelly Leonard?" Emily asked helping Aria with unscrewing the crate's lid.

"Done," Spencer nodded placing her hands on the crate, "I told her that if she plays anything depressing, I will kick in her cello." The girls let out chuckles knowing how intense Spencer could be.

"Oh, what about the program?" Aria asked handing her the screw she just took out.

"Almost done," Spencer nodded leaning on the crate, "but we should finish it before Ali's brother gets here."

Caitlin's hand tightened on the magazine she was reading, her entire body going tense at the mention of him. She felt her heart rate increasing as she turned around on the couch slowly hoping she heard it wrong, ignoring Hanna's worried gaze on her, "Jason's coming?"

Spencer's eyes widened in realisation, "oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys. He called me about it the other day...well he got back to me after I called him about it."

"When is he getting in?" Aria asked moving to the other side of the lid to unscrew it.

"Tonight," Spencer informed them not noticing Caitlin's tense posture, "he wants to see us in the morning."

"God, you know what?" Emily laughed lightly as Hanna quickly placed her magazine on the couch, shuffling closer to Caitlin subtly making sure not to draw attention to them, "I barely remember Jason."

"We didn't know him," Aria shrugged as Caitlin glanced over at Hanna who gave her an encouraging smile, squeezing her knee, a sign to show her that she was going to be there every step of the way, "he was just Ali's older brother down the hall."