CHAPTER THIRTY

"How often did you take her flying?" Caitlin questions sitting in the passenger seat of the small plane Duncan was flying

"On and off that summer," Duncan answers taking the headphones off to hear her better, "as often as I could."

Caitlin bites her lip dying to ask him the question that has been stuck in her mind since she first began talking to him, "can I ask you something else?"

"Was I in love with her?" Duncan voices the question causing her to look at him in surprise. He chuckles when he sees her surprised expression, "you and Alison are a lot alike...you both have the same look on your faces when you have a question that has been plaguing your mind."

Caitlin plays with the rings on her fingers, "were you? In love with her, I mean?"

"I could've been if somebody hadn't gotten in the way," Duncan answers glancing back ahead of him.

"Another boy?" Caitlin asks, raising her voice over the noise of her plane's engine, remembering Alison talking to her about many guys that have caught her attention, but she doesn't remember the specific one she would always talk about. The blue eyed beauty gave each one a nickname, but each nickname was becoming a bit foggy over time.

"That's what I figured," Duncan shrugs his shoulders, "at least I had her all to myself up here. It made her feel...safe."

"She felt safe up here?" Caitlin almost laughs knowing that it was probably true.

"Yeah, nothing could get to her. She had control," Duncan glances at her with a thoughtful expression, "you wanna take the yoke?"

Caitlin's eyes widen at the question, "uh, I don't know—"

"You wanna understand your friend? What she was looking for?" Duncan gestures to wheel in front of her, "take control."

Caitlin clears her throat hesitantly taking the wheel in front of her, "all right, you got it?"

"I got it," Caitlin nods as Duncan slowly let go of the wheel on his end.

"How does it feel?" Duncan questions noticing the carefree smile appear on her face.

"Amazing..." Caitlin lets out a laugh making Duncan smile, "it's almost relaxing being away from Rosewood."

Duncan smiles fondly thinking about the blonde, "she'd sit in that seat, I could just see her face change, just like yours did. No masks, nothing to hide from, or be afraid of. They couldn't get to her."

"They?'" Caitlin glances at him confusedly, "who's they?"

"Maybe a stranger. Maybe some boy she knew. Maybe a friend," Duncan shrugs not knowing the answer, "I've done some reading since we talked. The papers said a man named Ian Thomas confessed to killing Alison before he committed suicide. Left a note and everything."

"Yeah, that's not entirely true," Caitlin shakes her head, her grip on the wheel tighten as she plane shook slightly, "the note—the note was fake. We don't think that he did it. We think that he was trying to protect somebody."