CHAPTER TWELVE

The three brunettes of the group stood in Emily's room, all arriving at the same time to see their injured friend who had fallen down at Homecoming, only to be dropped off at the hospital by Toby

The three brunettes of the group stood in Emily's room, all arriving at the same time to see their injured friend who had fallen down at Homecoming, only to be dropped off at the hospital by Toby. She was rushed into the emergency room where Derrick had taken care of her.

Emily sat on her bed under the covers, her hand in a brace and a bandaid on the cut on her forehead that was covered by her hair. Aria sat in front of her on her bed, Spencer stood off to the side leaning against Emily's dresser with a coffee cup in her hand while Caitlin was seated on Emily's desk chair on the other side of the bed.

"It was all in his shrink's file," Aria filled Emily in about the file they read at Homecoming, "Toby and Jenna had a relationship."

"Way beyond step-siblings," Spencer added crossing her arms, the coffee cup still in her hand.

"Yeah, they...were involved," Aria nodded trailing off with disgust laced in her voice.

"Romantically?" Emily questioned.

"I doubt I'd call it romantic," Spencer shook her head, "and I doubt she had much of a choice."

"And that's what Alison saw when she threw the stink bomb," Aria explained.

"Yeah, and she threatened to expose Toby, which is probably why he wanted her dead," Spencer added in a little harshly.

"And not just her...us," Aria said more gently, "you."

Emily sighed not wanting to believe that Toby had anything to do with Alison's death. She looked over to Caitlin who was playing her diamond infinity necklace, a thing she did when she was deep in thought. Her arms were leaning on her black non ripped jean covered thighs as she stared at Emily's quilt.

"Caity? You okay?" Emily asked making Caitlin look up, "you seem deep in thought."

"Oh, um, it's nothing," Caitlin shook her head making Emily shake her head.

"No, what is it?"

Caitlin sighed, "I...I just find it weird that Toby had anything to do with Alison's death. I mean he seemed like a nice guy."

Spencer's eyes widened, a scoff falling from her lips, "nice guy?"

"Yeah, before Alison involved him in anything," Caitlin quickly clarified before Spencer could go on a rant, "I remember he was a shy, sweet guy. We used to study together...and last night when I spoke to him—"

"You spoke to him?" Aria interjected with wide eyes.

"Yeah, we were all so quick to attack Em...I wanted to try and be nice to him...give him the benefit of the doubt for her," Emily smiled at her friend's kindness. She had always been the one to always support her friends. No matter what.

"Well, what did you guys talk about?" Spencer asked raising an eyebrow at her.

"I just apologised for what he had to do that night, and he was surprised but he told me it was okay and he remembers how I tried to stop Ali from forcing him to take the blame. He seemed genuine, I just find it hard to believe that he had the intentions of killing Ali...and hurting Em," Caitlin explained glancing back down at her hands.