CHAPTER FIVE

The four liars stand outside of a pawnshop waiting for Spencer to get her sister's ring back

The four liars stand outside of a pawnshop waiting for Spencer to get her sister's ring back. The four friends paced outside the back alleyway where the pawnshop resided. Sirens could be heard from down the road while a few dumpster divers surround the corner of the alleyway.

"This place is skeevy," Aria comments looking around the alleyway in disgust.

"She pawned her sister's wedding ring," Hanna scoffs crossing her arms, "you're not gonna go to Tiffany's."

"This place is still creepy," Caitlin shrugs looking around the alleyway.

"So...Wren and Melissa?" Emily speaks up changing the subject as she walks over to them.

Caitlin hums holding onto her bag strap, "weird, right?"

"Could you tell what he gave her?" Emily questions, crossing her arms.

"No," Aria shakes her head, "she didn't seem happy about it."

"I wonder if Ian will be," Hanna mutters, glancing down to the ground.

"How are you doing?" Caitlin asks, changing the subject of Ian, not liking the idea of him being out there somewhere.

"Great," Emily says sarcastically rolling her eyes, "ever since I got that fake scholarship letter, my mum thinks I can do no wrong. I'm living a lie I didn't even tell."

"Leave it to A to make you feel bad about your mum feeling good," Hanna shakes her head in annoyance.

Caitlin turns around when she hears a door slam shut. She watches as Spencer stops over with a horseshoe in her hand, "why do you have a horseshoe?"

"Because the ring is gone!" Spencer stresses throwing her hands up in frustration.

"What do you mean it's gone?" Emily asks, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"I mean, it's gone and I have a horseshoe instead!" Spencer exclaims making the girls share looks of worry, "I can't believe that it's gone."

"At least you got your money back," Hanna says optimistically.

Spencer stares at her with disbelief holding up the horseshoe, "am I supposed to give her this? I stole it. I actually stole my sister's wedding ring!"

Before any of the girls could respond, all of their phones went off. They all let out sighs already knowing who it could be from. They take out their phones looking down at the message that came through.

𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗺𝘆 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸, 𝗱𝗶𝗮𝗺𝗼𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗮 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹'𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱. — 𝗔

• • • •

Caitlin leans against her locker door in annoyance, her hand holding her phone to her ear, "dad—"