CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

"Spence—"

"Spence—"

"I'm not going insane!" Spencer protests leaning her hands on the kitchen counter of the Scott residence, her voice echoing through the almost empty house. Her parents were at work, and her siblings had gone back to college and now it was only her and Jason who had staying at their house until his house gets fixed up again with strict instructions to stay in Brandon's room which wasn't followed, not that her parents knew that, "I saw her. She was in my living room. I could still smell her creme rinse after she left!"

"Shh!" Caitlin glances up at the stairs where Jason was getting ready to drop her off at school, "Jason's upstairs and I'd rather him not hear this conversation. I've been where you are, okay?"

"What do you mean?" Spencer lowers her voice as Caitlin pours her a cup of coffee.

"I mean that when I was in hospital after A had it me and Han with that car, I woke up groggily and saw Alison too. I had a conversation with her and I assumed that it was just the meds I was on but Hanna saw her too and now you..." Caitlin trails off watching Spencer's eyes widen, "we're either all going insane or—"

"She's still alive," Spencer interjects causing Caitlin to shake her head pointing an accusing finger at Spencer.

"No, no, no, she is not—no!" Caitlin waves her hands around spastically, "we went to her funeral!"

"You didn't believe she was really dead because we started getting those texts right after the funeral," Spencer whispers when she hears footsteps upstairs, "you and Han both believed she was still alive."

"Do you understand how insane we sound right now?!" Caitlin whisper-shouts leaning on the kitchen counter, "Ali is dead. She was murdered and we are all going insane because we are trying to find her killer."

"So what? We all just coincidently have a dream about having a conversation with her whenever we're all drugged up?" Spencer crosses her arms staring at her with a look of disbelief.

"It's the only logical explanation!" Caitlin exclaims throwing her arms out.

"That's what you call logical?" Spencer's mouth falls open.

"It's more logical than her being alive!" Caitlin defends herself, "look, I've been there, believing, hoping that she was out there somewhere, but the reality is that she isn't, and she's just consuming our every thought because we feel the need to find out what happened to her, and now our minds are playing tricks on us because we are so invested in solving her murder. Spence, Ali's dead and she's not coming back, no matter how hard we try."

Spencer sighs picking up the coffee cup taking a sip to calm her anxious state, "you're right."

Jason walks into the kitchen noticing the tension in the room causing him to stop, both girls looking up when they hear footsteps, "...morning."

"Morning," Caitlin smiles as he kissed her head taking a sip of her coffee causing her to roll her eyes.

"What's going on?" Jason glances between the two best friends.