CHAPTER EIGHT

"It was great!" Hanna smiled happily, explaining the night she spent with her father as the five girls waited in their English classroom for their teacher to arrive, "incredible actually

"It was great!" Hanna smiled happily, explaining the night she spent with her father as the five girls waited in their English classroom for their teacher to arrive, "incredible actually."

"Where did he take you?" Emily questioned curiously. They all hadn't seen her smile like that since her dad left and they were happy to see her this happy again.

"Jolly Roger's."

"The lame amusement park?" Aria questioned making the girls laugh.

"Okay, it is not lame," Hanna defended herself and her dad, rolling her eyes playfully at Aria, "we didn't go on the tilt-a-whirl. We walked around and talked, and I told him about what's going on." The four girls shared a look making Hanna quickly correct herself, "some of what was going on and he listened. He wants to take me to a real dinner tonight. He said he has something to tell me. I don't know...I think he wants to spend more time with me. I mean, maybe summers in Maryland."

"Seriously?" Emily asked, surprise lacing her voice.

"Would you go?" Caitlin questioned looking at Hanna with a frown.

"Well, I wouldn't move away. Not forever," Hanna clarified, "I don't want to leave my mum alone but I would like to see my dad more."

"Wow..." Spencer smiled.

"Good for you," Aria nudged her gently.

"I'm happy for you, Han," Caitlin added smiling at Hanna making her grin become wider if that was even possible.

The bell rang making the girls all take their respective seats as Mr Fitz enter the classroom. Caitlin noticed his facial expressions and groans internally picking up on his mood instantly. She hated when teachers were in a bad mood and then took it out on the class, especially when they gave so much homework or gave random pop quizzes.

Hanna looked over at Caitlin who was frowning when she notices Caitlin playing with her pen. She leaned over whispering, "what's wrong?"

"He's in a bad mood which will not end well for us," Caitlin whispered back making Hanna nod her head in understanding.

"I'm wondering is anyone else bothered by Atticus' hypocrisy at the end of the novel?" Mr Fitz questioned looking around the class who stayed silent making him continue, "no? Well, he's Mr Due process when it comes to Tom Robbinson then as soon as Bob Ewell gets stabbed he's willing to buy into the sheriff's coverup."

Spencer raised her hand into the air before speaking, "he was protecting Boo Radley."

"Protecting him?" Mr Fitz looked at Spencer, his eyes narrowing slightly, "from what? The justice system? Atticus is an officer of the court and he's conspiring to cover up a crime. And he's willing to let his own son take the fall for something that Boo Radley did?"

"It was a trade," Aria spoke up joining in on the discussion while everyone else stayed quiet, too scared to say anything, picking up on Mr Fitz's mood.