CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

"If you're trying out for The Bad Seed, you need to sign up here and wait by the auditorium door until your name is called

"If you're trying out for The Bad Seed, you need to sign up here and wait by the auditorium door until your name is called. Thank you, and good luck," Mr Fitz's voice echoed through the auditorium room as the students waited to audition. The five best friends sat down on the floor with crossed legs, their scripts in front of them as they read over it. Spencer and Hanna were trying out for the play while Caitlin, Emily and Aria were there for moral support.

"Start with the line about the stolen medal," Emily listens to Spencer's instruction looking through the script to find the line she was talking about as Hanna furrows her brows when she saw one of her classmates walking around in her socks.

"Why isn't she wearing any shoes?" Hanna questions glancing back at the group.

"So she can look short enough to play an eight-year-old," Spencer says trying to stay in character. She glances at Emily, "what's my line?"

"I don't see anything about a medal," Emily says still looking through the script making Spencer lean over trying to help her.

"That's what the eight-year-old killed her classmate for. Penmanship medal. That's why they call her The Bad Seed," Spencer explains.

"A penmanship medal, really?" Hanna looks away from the script scoffing.

Spencer looks at Hanna in disbelief, "didn't you read the whole play?" Hanna just shrugs making Spencer turn to Aria and Caitlin with incredulity clear in her eyes.

"What? Don't look at me. I'm not the one trying out. I'm here for moral support," Caitlin shrugs her shoulders, not really that surprised that her best friend didn't read the whole script for the play she wanted to try out for.

Aria hums in agreement looking up from the paper, "yeah, I'm just here to make Hanna look taller."

"Why do I have to read the whole play?" Hanna complains holding onto her script, "I don't wanna be the bad seed's mother. I wanna be the other mother, the one who's drunk all the time."

"No comment," Spencer stares at the blonde with amusement.

"Are you still ragging on me for bringing a flask to a dance?" Hanna leans her elbows on her thighs, "I don't need another parent, Spence. One's plenty."

"Well, has the 'one' figured out that Caleb's in your basement?" Aria questions leaning back on her arms.

"If she had, my dad would have found out and most likely threatened Dodger by now," Caitlin looks through Hanna's script making the girls besides Hanna and Caitlin chuckle.

"Yeah, that's not going to be pretty," Hanna mumbles ignoring the girls' amused gazes, "but A has figured it out."

The amusement soon fell from their faces. Emily looks over at Hanna concerned, "what are you gonna do?"

"I'm gonna tell my mum before A gets to her," Hanna explains her solution, "I'm just gonna ask her if Caleb can stay in the guest room."

"Hey, there, Caity and Hanna, and their clanna!" Mona grins walking up to the group after her audition.