CHAPTER THREE

The five best friends were all seated at a table in the Apple Rose Grille

The five best friends were all seated at a table in the Apple Rose Grille. It was actually Caitlin's idea for them all to sit and talk about the events that had occurred the past two days. The rest of the girls quickly obliged believing it was a good idea to talk about what happened.

Caitlin sat next to Hanna opposite Spencer with Hanna opposite Emily and Aria at the head of the table. They all ordered some food and drinks to ease their nerves from earlier. They fell into a light conversation just like old times, speaking to each other like they never stopped talking in the first place.

"Why was Jenna there?" Aria questioned, bringing up the question that plagued all the girls minds.

"She must be back," Caitlin shrugged taking a sip of her water.

Hanna sighed leaning her arms on the table, "that cop acted like we were suspects or something."

"I know," Caitlin scoffed shaking her head, her shoulder-length brown hair moving along with her, "he acted like he knew we were guilty of something."

Emily frowned worriedly, "did you think we looked guilty?"

"Why would we? We didn't do anything wrong," Aria stole a fry that was on the plate in front of her, her way of trying to distract herself from the nerves she was feeling.

"Except lie about the Jenna thing," Hanna pointed out making Spencer glare at her slightly.

"We promised we'd never bring up the Jenna thing again, remember?" Spencer said softly, dropping her gaze to her coffee cup, "it never happened."

"Have you found a way to forget?" Aria questioned looking at the rest of the girls nervously, "I still wake up sometimes in the middle of the night—"

"Aria, it was an accident," Spencer cut her off as Hanna took the lid off her flask pouring it into her drink looking up to see a man staring at her with a disapproving gaze.

"It's medicinal," Hanna faked a smile making the rest of the girls look over to see the man give her a disbelieving look, "cramps!"

"I don't get it," Emily shook her head taking the attention off Hanna and her one-sided argument with the man at the other table, "how does A know something about me that only Alison knew?"

"Ali knew all of our secrets, but we never knew any of hers," Aria sighed looking down at her water.

"I knew some," Caitlin spoke up making all the girls look at her waiting for her to elaborate but she never did, instantly regretting even opening her mouth.

"Go on," Aria waited for her to continue, looking at her expectantly.

"Talk," Hanna nudged when she noticed her hesitating.

"I can't," Caitlin shook her head running her manicured finger along the rim of her glass of water, the silver rings on her fingers shining as the light reflects on them.