~ 9 ~

Maya's pov :

Maya's pov :

Isn't it funny how, day by day, nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different? Time flies so fast that it seems like it was just yesterday when I was that little kid with lots of hopes and dreams.

After that confrontation, I'm feeling lighter, as if the huge burden I'm carrying has been lifted. I should have confronted him long ago, but the situation didn't support it. Anyway, I hope he changes and doesn't do anything nasty this time.

It's been a week since we came to our village. We, cousins, had a great time reminiscing about our old memories (except for Avi and Arpita Akka). They arrived two days ago and would be staying in Yash Bava's house, as we couldn't stay together in the same house.

I'm walking on the terrace, trying to seek the comfort the darkness is giving me. This is my favourite spot here. The cool breeze is sweeping against my body, and the plants are waving against the wind, producing soothing music. It feels like heaven here.

I stood near the railing and looked down. The house is beautifully decked out like a new bride. A large canopy with palm leaves is laid in front of the house. The whole house is decorated with lights and flowers. Mango leaves and marigold flower garlands are beautifully hanging on the architraves. Everyone is roaming here and there in the house.

I didn't realize how fast the time flew by, and by this time tomorrow, I would be his completely. Am I ready for this big step? I know there is no looking back now. I'm feeling so nervous. Will I be able to fulfill all my responsibilities properly? Why do only girls have to leave their families and move to a new house and live with a new family? Why not boys?

**********************

On the terrace:

"Oh my God, Girl, I've searched the entire house for you," Anju Maa said as she approached me.

"Oh! Actually, I'm feeling suffocated inside my room. So, I came here," I said, looking at her.

She mumbled, "Okay."

"Why, Maa, is there any work?" I asked her.

"Nothing. My daughter totally forgot about me these days, and tomorrow you are getting married and will go to your in-laws' house. So, I came to spend some time with you," She said, sitting beside me on the floor.

"It's nothing like that Maa, I just got busy with things; otherwise, you know about me," I explained, keeping my head in her lap and her hand in my hair.

She started caressing them immediately. I'm closer to her than I am to my mother.

"I'm just kidding, Kanna. Don't I know about my little princess? Tell me, why did you agree to the marriage, Ammu?" Anju maa asked me.