~ 20 ~

Author's pov :

Author's pov :

Maya was sleeping peacefully when she felt a hand caressing her head lovingly. She stirred a little in her sleep. A smile formed on her face automatically as she recognised the touch—the touch that never left her heart. She opened her eyes slowly and saw her grandmother sitting beside her, looking at her with a smile on her face. The smile on her face widened, and she flung herself into her grandma's arms and snuggled into her, seeking warmth from her.

She gave her grandma's cheek a sloppy kiss, just like she used to do as a kid, to which her grandma laughed loudly. She lay in her grandma's lap and started blabbering. Savitri was caressing Maya's hair and listening to what her granddaughter was saying.

"Do you know, Nanamma?" Maya asked Savitri.

"What?" asked Savitri.

"I love Avi so much," Maya said with a cute smile playing on her lips.

"Acha, how much?" Savitri asked, raising an eyebrow.

"This much," Maya said, opening her arms widely and grinning like a child.

"So, did you tell him?" Savitri asked Maya.

"No, I want to propose to him, but I don't know how," Maya said, pouting, thinking about how to propose to her Avi.

Savitri shook her head and chuckled, looking at her grown-up granddaughter, who was still a kid at heart.

"Are you happy with this marriage, Kanna?" Savitri asked Maya.

Maya got up from her lap and took her grandma's hands into hers and said, "I won't lie. At first, I was afraid—afraid of the responsibility. And I was in a dilemma about whether to accept the proposal or not. Because he is a gem, Nanamma, and I'm a person with my own flaws. Not only that, to be frank, I've never thought of marriage. Yes, I have some wishes regarding my marriage, but I have always wished to achieve something in my career before settling down in my life. But things turned out to be something else. So, when his proposal came, I was reluctant at first, but deep down, my heart knew I couldn't imagine anyone in his place. I've always admired him since I was a child. But then I thought it was just an infatuation that would fade away with the years passing by. But my feelings for him grew stronger with time. I tried my best to shut down those feelings, but instead, they grew strong. My day never used to end without thinking about him once. Now I just can't imagine my life without him. Maybe he deserves more, but I'm selfish enough to let him go."

She took a deep breath and said, "I know I've hurt him a lot. Of course, he would be because, since my childhood, I've shared my every secret with him, and the same goes for him. But after that incident, I grew distant from everyone, mainly from him. You know, I have caught him admiring me many times. I know he loves me too. If there was anything that kept me sane through all my nightmares and those scars of the past, it was him. And I won't lie, I waited for him to bring forward the proposal. When Nanna told me that they were searching for an alliance for me, I was afraid that I might lose him. I thought about telling Nanna, but I was afraid of his reaction. I know Amma and Nanna won't deny, but a somewhere a part of me was scared of their reaction. You know about them more than me, right? When Ankit's proposal came, I was searching for a reason to reject him. When I learned that he had a smoking habit, I rejected him for that reason. When Gayatri Ammamma came to ask for my hand for Avi, my heart just jumped with joy. But somewhere, a question used to run through my mind: "Do I deserve him?"