Fifty Three

Jaxon lifts his head off the pillow, turning over to see Shawn's spot was empty. He furrows his brows as Shawn usually leaves for work after he leaves for school.

Jaxon gets up, quickly getting dressed in some sweatpants and a hoodie before walking out to the kitchen.

He looks around, not seeing Shawn. He walks over to Gavin. "Hey. Where's Shawn?"

"He had to leave for Maverick's office. He's trying to get in as many hours as he can."

Jaxon nods and looks down at his feet. He shrugs his shoulders before looking back up. "It's just weird he usually leaves a text and let's me know or something."

Gavin frowns at him. "Maybe he forgot?"

Jaxon nods his head again and wipes under his eyes. "Yeah, I guess."

"Hey, you need a ride to school? I can take you and we can stop and get something to eat."

Jaxon smiles and nods. "Yeah. Sure. Let me go get my stuff."

"Alright."

**
Jaxon hadn't touched his food since it arrived. Gavin wipes his mouth with a napkin and clears his throat. "You should try it. It's really good."

Jaxon looks down at his food, grabbing his fork. "He's never been this mad at me before."

"I'm sorry, buddy. Have you tried talking to him?"

Jaxon looks up at him like that was the dumbest question he could possibly ask. Gavin picks up on it right away and nods. "Right...Sorry. He's an asshole sometimes. He's stubborn, you know that."

"I know. I just...Wish I hadn't said anything. I just...stumbled over my words and..."

"I get it, kid. And...I'm not trying to justify either of you cause it's not my place but...He's been through a lot and he doesn't know how to respond to certain things."

Jaxon grabs his coffee cup, taking a sip from it.

"You just gotta give him time. Try and talk to him as much as you can. Knock some sense into him and allow him to let you explain yourself."

Jaxon nods his head. "I know...I just...I hate that I disappointed him...That I hurt him." Jaxon looks down at his lap, biting his lip to stop himself from crying.

**
Jaxon closes his notebook and stands from his seat. Claudia stops him, "Can I speak to you, please?"

Jaxon nods his head as the kids start to leave the classroom. Kirstin stays by him, not wanting to leave him alone.

Once everyone had cleared out, Claudia walks back over to her desk. "I wanted to give this back to you."

She grabs a sketchbook from her desk. Jaxon grabs it, furrowing his brows. "How'd you get this?"

"Mia said she found it. I also would like to say that you need to be an adult in this situation. Talking bad on my intern isn't gonna help you in the long run."

"Talking bad? I haven't said a word about her. I wasn't even in class on Friday."

"Right, this is more for your friend. Ms. Choi."

Jaxon shakes his head and sighs. "Can you just tell me one thing? Please? I'll drop the whole thing."

Claudia rolls her eyes, "What?"

"Did Mia tell you I was gay? Is she why you know?"

Claudia stands from her desk. "I don't have to answer that. I'm not obligated to. Excuse me, I have fifteen minutes till my next lecture and I'm parched."

Jaxon scoffs and walks out to the classroom.

He grabs his phone from his back pocket, dialing Shawn's phone number. He looks over at Kirstin. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom."

"Okay. I'll wait."

Jaxon smiles softly before walking off to the boy's bathroom, and into a stall. He leans against the door and puts the phone up to his ear.

Shawn doesn't answer so he tries to call him again.

When he doesn't answer a third time, Jaxon decides to leave a voicemail. "Look, I understand you're mad at me but could you please pick me up? I-I need you right now, Shawn."

He hangs up the phone, rolling his eyes.

*
Jaxon was sitting in bed as he took off the rest of the day. He didn't feel like going to the rest of his classes.

He sits in bed, trying to get a hold of Shawn, though, to his luck, the conversation was very much one-sided. He responded with one-word responses and you could tell he didn't wanna talk.

Jaxon sets his phone down next to him on the bed, bringing his knees up to his chest.

Kai walks into the apartment as she was on her lunch break. She takes her Airpods out and hears faint crying from one of the bedrooms.

She furrows her brows, turning the burner off on the stove before walking over to Shawn and Jaxon's room. She knocks twice before opening the door.

"Jax?"

Jaxon looks up from where his face was buried in his knees, wiping under his nose. He gets off the bed and runs up to Kai.

Kai frowns and wraps her arms around Jaxon. "Hey...Hey. Shh, it's okay."

Once Kai had finally calmed Jaxon down, now making meals for the both of them. He was sat in the kitchen at a barstool, his head laying down on the countertop.

Kai turns slightly so she's in view of her food cooking, but also Jaxon. "And he just left?"

Jaxon nods. "He came back home at like ten...Got in bed but we didn't speak at all. And he's barely responded to me today and I didn't see him this morning."

Kai hums, reaching over to turn the burner off. She removes the pan from the stovetop. "You know how he deals with stuff, Jax. Maybe he really just needs time."

"I don't wanna give him time. I need to...Explain myself to him. I didn't mean what I said...I don't even know why I said that, but he won't listen."

Kai frowns at him, setting the toasted sandwich in front of him. "Cheer up. You two are strong. You bounce back, always."

**