Seventy Six

Shawn sits at the island next to Jaxon's mom. She hands him a cup of coffee. "Jaxon still asleep?"

"Yeah."

Jaxon's mom nods and takes a sip of her own coffee. "So, have you called you folks? Told them about what happened?"

"Uh, Nah. Not yet...I-I don't know what to say, exactly."

"What my advice? From experience?"

Shawn looks over at her and shrugs. "Sure."

"When my Mom's dad died, she called me and simply said, 'Hey, I know this may seem sudden, but your great grandfather passed'. I asked what happened and if she was okay...and she explained and we ended the call."

Shawn nods his head. "Who should I start with? His mom?"

"That would probably be best. And when you do that it will start to spread. You'll be able to reach more people when you start telling a few people."

"Okay. I guess I'll start with his mom."

Jaxon's mom smiles at Shawn. "Let me know how it goes, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks." Shawn takes a sip from his coffee before cleaning his throat. "Can I ask you something else?"

"Of course, honey."

Shawn lets out a deep breath. "I was thinking about...About maybe...proposing." Shawn whispers the last part.

Ms.Carters raises her eyes brows. "Seriously? When?"

"I'm not sure. I've just been thinking about it. My dad left my mom's ring for me and with everything going on, I've realized that I maybe wanna take this next step with our relationship."

"Oh my gosh. That's amazing."

"I just don't know if he'd be ready. I mean we talk about marriage all the time but, what if it scares him?"

"I understand. But I think you two could figure it out. Jaxon loves you a lot and I know. He's constantly telling me about you and I'm sure he'd say yes."

"I just hope he doesn't think it's too soon. And I know we
wouldn't have the wedding until well after he graduates, but you know."

"I know, honey. Seeing the way you take care of him, especially after that while Aaliyah situation, I think you're the perfect match. And you, one thousand percent have my blessings."

Suddenly, they both hear a door open and quickly pocket the conversation. Shawn smiles a little and looks down at his cup of coffee.

Jaxon appears in the kitchen. "Hey, mom. When you get home?"

"Late last night. Sorry, I couldn't be here when you did, I had to work overtime." Ms.Carters holds her arms out and Jaxon walks over to hug her.

"Hi."

"I missed you," She pulls away, placing her hands on Jaxon's face. "It's so good having you home."

Jaxon smiles at her. "It's good to be home." He turns to look at Shawn. "Oh, you too had coffee together? How sweet."

He walks over to Shawn, leaning in to kiss him once. "You sleep okay?"

"Yeah. I slept fine," Shawn holds his cup towards Jaxon. "Want the rest?"

Kai and AJ then appear in the kitchen. Kai yawns and takes a seat next to Shawn. "Good morning. Jaxon, that guest bed is so comfortable."