Sixty Nine

Jaxon closes the front door behind himself. He didn't have another class until two and decided to nap until then.

He sighs as he sets his bag down on the floor, taking his shoes off quickly before making his way into the kitchen.

He feels his phone vibrating in his back pocket. He reaches to grab it, smiling at Shawn's contact. He slides to answer, firmly pressing the phone to his ear.

"Hi, babe."

Shawn smiles at the sound of Jaxon's voice. "Hey, princess. What're you up to?"

"Uh, just got finished with classes until two. Gonna attempt to make something to eat and then take a nap."

"You want me to send you some money? You can order yourself a pizza-."

"No, babe, it's okay. I have my own money, thank you. I'll probably end up eating a salad or something."

"You gotta eat more than that."

"I know, but AJ is cooking dinner tonight. Plus, I'm not that hungry right now."

Shawn nods. "Mkay."

"So? What're you up to?" Jaxon grabs some vegetables out of the fridge, bringing them over to the sink to wash.

"On the way to get dad."

"Oh," Jaxon moves his phone to his other ear, "How's that going so far? For you?"

"Nervous as hell. I also miss you a lot and wish I brought you. But, Gav is helping. He's driving...Says I shouldn't drive under stress."

"Good. I wouldn't want you driving either."

Shawn rolls his eyes. "I get it, I get it. I'm an anxious mess."

Jaxon giggles. "Aren't we all. So, how long are you guys planning on staying? Do you know?"

"Nah. No one else in my family wants to take care of this asshole so it's all on me."

Jaxon shakes his head in disapproval. "That's so fucked. He literally-."

"I know, baby. It's okay."

**
Shawn and Jaxon ended up staying on the phone until they arrived at the facility. They both showed IDs and announced who they were here for.

It took them a while to wait before Shawn stepped out of the car to see his dad being wheeled out in a wheelchair.

And Damn did he look like shit.

After getting him into the car, without having any of the proper necessities, they began the drive back home.

To make a long story short, he was suffering from kidney and liver failure. As a result of his intense alcoholism, he drank himself to death.

Shawn was in the front seat, a hand on his forehead as he had finished reading his dad's diagnosis.

"I'm fine, kid. I haven't drank in years. Can't get rid of me that easily."

Shawn turns around in his seat. "Are you-? This isn't a fucking joke! Have you looked in the mirror recently?"

Shawn's dad rolls his eyes. "Everyone's being dramatic."

Gavin shakes his head, looking up at him through the mirror. "You're dying, Mark."

Mark chuckles. "Yeah, okay. I know my body more than anyone. It's whatever. I'm just glad they let me out that hell-hole."

Shawn slams the paper down into the dashboard and shakes his head. Gavin looks over at him. "You gotta stay calm, dude."

**
"Fucking liver failure, Jaxon!"

Jaxon frowns, hoping he can calm Shawn down. "Baby, I'm so sorry. What are you gonna do?"

"Unless we can raise like...three hundred thousand dollars I don't fucking know. No one wants to help this piece of shit."

"Shawn, you need to calm down, okay. Just...Take a breathe, alright?"

"This stupid asshole is gonna find another way to fucking leave me. Stupid asshole."

Gavin walks into the room, shutting the door behind himself. "Your dad is asking for alcohol."

Shawn rolls his eyes and sits down on his bed. "Where is he?"

"In his room. I sat him down in his bed. His ankles are swollen so bad he can't walk. He can barely even lift his arms up."

Jaxon suddenly speaks over the phone. "Baby, I know you're scared-."

"I'm not fuckin' scared." Shawn hated when Jaxon views him as weak in any way.

Jaxon gulps and nods. "Okay...But, a lot of people can live with liver disease. It isn't an automatic ticket out."

"They released him from prison because of this. You think they do that for everyone? He's dying."

"I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help."

Shawn sighs and takes a deep breath. "No...I know, baby. Fuck...I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a dick."

"It's okay. You're fine. You're allowed to feel this way. I wish I could do something."

"Trust me, you're helping. Just hearing your voice is helping."

After his phone call with Jaxon, Gavin headed out of the house to grab dinner for the three.

Shawn closes his eyes for a few seconds, muttering some distasteful words before walking into his dads' room.

His dad was laying on his side with his eyes closed, though it was clear that he was awake.

Shawn clears his throat. "Gav went out to get food."

Shawn's dad opens his eyes and turns his head. He makes an effort to sit up on his own but ultimately couldn't.

Shawn sighs and walks over to his, helping him sit up. He places a pillow behind his back. Mark looks up, "Why am I in this room? You know I hate this room."

Shawn looks around at the room, old pictures of his parents hanging up. Some of his mom's clothes were still in the closet.

"I'll take the pictures down."

Mark sighs and leans his head back. "You still with a man?"

"You still an asshole?"

Mark chuckles and shrugs his shoulders. "I'm guessing the answer is yes, then."

Shawn crosses his arms and takes a seat on the edge of the bed. "Yes. I am. And we're doing fine, thanks for asking."

"You got a job?"

"I work at a diner...Apprenticing for a tattoo position."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry for giving you a hard time."

Shawn rolls his eyes. "I'm not falling for this again. You're just saying it cause you're sick."

"I just want what's best for you."

"Fuck off. You wanted what's best for me?" Shawn stands up, "In what way? When you left me home alone when I was twelve for six months? Or when you would get plastered off your ass and throw beer bottles at me?"

Mark shakes his head.

"Or when you got so upset and would blame Mom's death on me? How about placing the drugs you were selling in my room when I was in middle school and getting me sent to a fucking program for trouble teens?"

"That wasn't-."

"Oh...You mean when you brought a few of your guys over to beat me up because I misspoke and hurt your feelings? Or when you pulled a fucking gun on me and shot me!?"

"I said I was sorry, kid."

"That's not enough and you know it."

**