Sixty Five

a/n: late night update ?!?!?

**

Jaxon sighs as he walks into the apartment. It was finally the weekend and all he can think about was sleeping in until Monday morning.

He sets his bag down before stretching his hands above his head.

"Nice stomach." Shawn points to Jaxon's crop top that was lifted.

Jaxon looks over at Shawn who was sitting on the couch eating a toasted sandwich.

Jaxon smiles. "Thanks," He skips over to Shawn, sitting on the coffee table in front of him. "What're you eating?"

Shawn chuckles and holds it out to Jaxon. "Take a bite."

He smiles, knowing he would get his way. He leans in the take a bite before sitting up and covering his mouth with his hand. "Mm. That's really good."

Shawn smiles and leans back. "I would've got you one if I knew you were gonna be home so soon."

Jaxon nods. "It's okay. Professor canceled class for today."

"Ah, got ya." Shawn takes another bite into his sandwich.

Jaxon starts to bite the inside of his mouth as he began to let his mind ponder. Shawn noticed and kicks Jaxon's leg once. "Princess? What you thinking?"

Jaxon looks up and shrugs his shoulders. "Uh, nothing."

"Jax.."

"Can I ask you a question?" Jaxon asks abruptly.

Shawn chuckles. "Of course you can ask me a question."

"Okay. I'm not trying to sound stupid or anything. You've just been kind of on edge lately. I dunno, you've just been kind of passive and more aggressive than usual."

Shawn furrows his brows. "What's the question?"

"Just...Are you alright? Did something happen?"

Shawn sighs and sets his sandwich down on the plate by Jaxon. He leans back against the couch and rubs his hands together.

Jaxon nods his head, "So, something did happen?"

"Can we...Not do this right now? I'm not really in the mood-."

"No more secrets, remember?" Jaxon interrupts.

Shawn nods and motions for Jaxon to sit next to him. Jaxon gets up, taking a seat next to Shawn. "What's going on?"

Shawn avoids eye contact and begins to pick at his cuticles. "Uh...They're letting my dad out."

Jaxon froze. "What?"

"Yeah. He's uh...Sick, apparently. They wouldn't give me any details on the phone but...He'll be out by next week."

"Next week?"

"Yeah. I...I guess I need to go see him. Make some arrangements with work."

Jaxon crosses his arm. "Go see him? Why would you do that?"

Shawn shrugs his shoulders. "He's sick, baby."

Jaxon shakes his head. "N-no...No. You're not going there. He almost killed you, Shawn."

"He's family, Jaxon. I can't let him be alone. He's sick and I don't know how serious it is."

Jaxon just stares at Shawn before shaking his head again. "Shawn-."

"I know. But he poses no threat to me, princess. I need to take care of him. He's family."

**
"He's sick?"

Shawn nods his head as he leans back. He and Gavin were sitting on the front porch. Shawn had a beer in his hands, he tilts the bottle up to his mouth. "Yeah."

Gavin shakes his head as he watches him. "What's wrong with him?"

"They wouldn't tell me over the phone. Just told me that he'd be out on Monday and they need someone to pick him up."

Gavin raises his eyebrows. "Wow. Are you gonna go?"

Shawn looks over at Gavin. "Don't think I have a choice. Just gonna, call our manager ask to take a few days off. Maybe a few weeks."

"You're not gonna go by yourself, right? Taking your boy with you?"

"He can't miss school...He already took a week off after that bullshit with Aaliyah. Plus, I try and keep him away from my dad as much as possible.

"Okay, then, I'll go with you. Yeah, he's sick but he still attacked you and your dumbass isn't going alone."

"I don't need help, Gav-."

"Yes, you do. You're not alone anymore, kid. You got a family. Here. Us. And we'd be stupid to leave you all by yourself. I'll go call work."

Gavin stands up from the porch, setting his hand on Shawn's shoulder. He places it there for a second before walking back inside the house.

Jaxon watches as Gavin walks to his bedroom and stands up from the couch to join Shawn on the front porch.

He quickly closes the front door before taking a seat next to Shawn. He reaches over and grabs his hand.

"How are you feeling?"

Shawn looks over at him and shrugs. "I dunno. It's weird. I thought I stopped caring about that asshole but...He's sick. Sick enough to where he's being released from prison."

Jaxon frowns and squeezes Shawn's hand.

Shawn shakes his head and takes another gulp of his beer. "All those times I said I wish he was dead and now...He's fucking sick. Who knows what's gonna happen."

"I'm sorry."

Shawn makes eye contact with Jaxon. "It's not your fault, baby."

"I know. I'm just sorry for...Making you feel like you could choose. I know you need to take care of him I just worry."

Shawn smiles and cups Jaxon's cheek. "I'm not mad at you, princess. I understand where you're coming from."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Just...Sit here with me?"

Jaxon smiles and stands up from his chair to sit in Shawn's lap. He slouches a little bit so he can rest his head on his shoulder.

Shawn smiles back before leaning his head back and looking up at the sky.

**