Twenty Four

a/n: who's everyone's favorite character?
tw: mention of eating disorder

*

Kai and AJ got home at the same time as Mia. AJ sets his grocery bag down on the island countertop. Kai watches Mia walks in and immediately gets angry.

"You need to get your friend, Mia. I don't know where she gets the fucking audacity to speak to Jaxon like that, but you need to set some fucking boundaries."

Mia turns around, setting her bag down on the floor. "W-what're you talking about?"

"What Aaliyah said to Jaxon at lunch! Who the fuck says shit like that?"

"What the fuck are you talking about? I went to the bathroom and Jaxon was gone!?"

Kai walks up to her to whisper. "She made a joke about his bulimia. That's what. And she thought it was something to joke about."

AJ walks down the hallway, knocking on the bedroom door. He opens the door, seeing Jaxon sitting on the edge of the bed, now in a big sweater.

AJ hears him sniff and walks around the bed to see his face. "Jax?"

Jaxon looks up and wipes his eyes. "H-hey."

AJ shows a soft smile and sits down next to him. "You okay, buddy?"

Jaxon shrugs his shoulder, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. "I'm fine."

AJ throws his arm around Jaxon, scooting closer to him. "Look, I've never struggled with, you know...Eating disorders, so I can't imagine the pain and hurt but...I do know what it's like to be judged for something out of your control."

Jaxon looks up at him. "What do you mean?"

"People judge me for being black the same way they judge you for being skinny. Although, they're two totally different forms and levels of discrimination, they both hurt, you know?"

Jaxon nods his head. "Yeah...I'm sorry."

"Not your fault. The same way it's not my fault. I'm not saying you can't cry, because I think it's okay to feel however you want, but...Just don't let it get to you, you know?"

"I-I know...I just...Haven't been reminded of it since like sophomore year when it was really bad."

"I know, man. It's okay to cry, let it out, dude. You're doing good, though. And hey, I'm making tacos tonight!" AJ smiles widely.

Jaxon smiles back. "Thank you. And thank you for the advice...it means a lot."

"Of course. You're like my little brother. Gotta make sure you're alright."

**
Mia and Kai hadn't stopped arguing one bit. AJ was in the kitchen, starting to cook dinner for the night.

"I didn't know! It's not my fucking fault, Kailani! I'm fucking sorry but I'm not his fucking caretaker!"

"It doesn't matter! You've been letting Aaliyah get away with so much! I understand it's not your job to defend him but as his best friend, maybe you should at least try."

"You shouldn't be yelling at me. You should be yelling at Aaliyah. Just because she's my friend doesn't mean I feel the same way she does!"

Jaxon was in his bedroom, sitting in the middle of their bed listening to the argument. He felt stupid, still crying over the comment Aaliyah made.

It's just, Jaxon went through a lot when he was closeted and eating disorders was something he's heavily dealt with. He covers his eyes with his hands, shaking his head.

Mia shakes her head and sits down on the couch. "Holy shit...Jaxon can literally defend himself if it upset him so badly. He knows how to use his words, he's not a fucking five year old! I understand that as his friend I should want to defend him, but in my defense, I didn't even know a joke was made!"

Jaxon had decided he had enough and walks out of his room. Mia looks over at him, frowning at how sad and exhausted he looked.

"Stop arguing, please," He looks over at Mia, "It's not your fault...I don't blame you...You're right, I can fight my own battles...I'm sorry."

Mia just looks at him as he wipes the tears from his face. He looks at Kai and shakes his head. "You don't have to be mad at her. She didn't do anything and...If I would've stood up for myself...T-then maybe I wouldn't be...Crying like a baby but-."

Mia stands up, "No, Jax...I'm...I'm gonna talk to her, okay? I swear. I'm so sorry she would ever say something like that."

Jaxon looks at her and nods his head.

"It's okay..."

AJ smiles to try and brighten the mood. "Dinner is almost done. Wanna come sit?"

Jaxon shakes his head. "Uhm...I don't think I'm hungry...I think I'm just gonna go lay down for a while."

Kai looks over at him, remembering what Shawn said about him not wanting to eat when he's upset. "You sure? Just one taco and then-."

"I'm fine." Jaxon wipes his eyes again and walks way to his bedroom. He lightly closes the door.

**
Shawn and Gavin didn't get off of work until 11:30 as they were the ones who had to close up the diner.

Shawn was on the phone with AJ as he was getting his things together to leave. "He didn't eat?"

"Nah. Said he was gonna take a shower and then lay down. We saved him some food, though."

"Okay...I'll just swing by and grab him something to eat before I get home. He talk to Mia?"

"Yeah. I spoke to Mia about it...How to approach the situation. She said she's gonna call her tomorrow to talk about it. Teach her how insensitive she can be."

"Good...Good. Okay, well I'll be home in like thirty minutes. Thank you, man."

"Of course."

**
Shawn slips his shoes off, throwing his keys down onto the counter. He walks straight into his bedroom, seeing Jaxon asleep on Shawn's side of the bed.

He smiles at him, turning on the small lamp. He sets the food down on the dresser top, going into the bathroom to change out of his work clothes.

Once now in some comfortable shorts, he climbs onto the bed, shaking Jaxon awake.

Jaxon blinks himself awake and looks around, his eyes landing on Shawn's. Jaxon lets out a yawn. "What time is it?"

"Almost twelve. We had to close." Shawn leans down and presses one kiss to Jaxon's lips. He pulls away, tilting his head. "AJ said you didn't eat dinner?"

Jaxon blushes and looks up at Shawn, shaking his head. Shawn hums and pats Jaxon on the ass a few times, sitting up. "Sit up. Brought food. You need to eat."

Jaxon nods and sits up, bringing his knees up to his chest. Shawn gets off the bed, digging in the bag to pull out the salad he bought for Jaxon.

He grabs the plastic fork and packet of dressing before handing it to Jaxon. "Here."

"Thank you."

They eat in silence for a few minutes until Shawn speaks up. "You know you're beautiful, right? No matter what anyone thinks. And I'm beyond proud of you, no matter what anyone else perceives of you."

Jaxon looks up from his food, biting his lip. He nods his head slowly.

"I know it hurts, princess. I know and I'm sorry. But you're gonna be okay. You're one of the strongest people I know, my love."

Jaxon smiles at him. "I love you."

"I love you too."

**