Chapter-1: The Mission Day

It was a day of happiness, sadness and mixed emotions. Before attending the welcoming party of the Viceroy, little did I know about the surprise that my little angel had planned for me. I was shocked all of a sudden when I heard the host calling, "We invite Mrs. Bondita Anirudh Roy Chowdhary, the first woman to go to school from Tulsipur onto the dais to welcome the Viceroy. She stood as a topper in the whole school and bagged the golden opportunity of welcoming the Viceroy.".

My happiness knew no bounds, not because she got the opportunity to welcome the viceroy, but at the fact that she had topped the whole school in her exam. I knew about this capability of hers. That's why I am so adamant to make her study more and more, but not with any selfish intention like fulfilling my dreams through her, as all the others think. My very own kaka thinks that I am crazy enough and that I am forcing my craziness on Bondita to reach my goals. The fact is that, she had all the necessary intelligence and qualities to become a great barrister. Sometimes I feel that in spite of being much younger, she is far better than me in terms of logic and reasoning out things.

Well, I liked her surprise like anything, indeed, I loved it. Considering her changed behavior and the incidents that took place since last month, I wondered will she ever complete her schooling at least. But now I regained my confidence that she will study very well and reach greater heights in life. I don't want her to get identified with my name. Instead I want her to make a name of her own and be identified for her excellence, goodness and caliber.

This is the best party that I have ever attended. It's not that I like to attend the parties thrown by the British; in fact I hate to be a part of them, as, behind their every celebration, I could only see the pain of my motherland. However, I had to attend this party as a part of my agreement with Manorama. She had helped me a lot and now it's my turn to keep up my promise. On one side she was preparing for her mission, which is a part of the Indian freedom struggle, while I was busy thinking about my own mission. My mission was also a part of our struggle for the freedom; the freedom of Bondita from the clutches of toxic traditions and customs.

I was only a few hours away from succeeding in my mission. I had been waiting for this day since many days and finally I was on the brink of achieving my goal, that is, to send Bondita to Dalhousie for further studies. As soon as this thought hit my mind, my face turned pale. The thoughts of Bondita hovered in my mind as always. It has become a habit to my mind to think about her round the clock, since the day I married and brought her home. Literally there isn't a minute when I don't think about her. Why wouldn't I think? After all I am living for her and only for her. She had become the very reason for my survival. I don't even know how I will live once she goes to the hostel at Dalhousie. Whatever it is, I can bear all the pain, but at any cost I can't compromise with her studies and bright future. I only hoped and prayed to God that she should do well in her interview and go away to Dalhousie.

If this society hadn't been so harsh on a twelve year old child, I should not have thought of sending her away from me. But I am living in an evil society, where a child's innocence is not being protected and her growth is being hampered in the name of marriage and related responsibilities. It was only because of this fear that I had been punishing my innocent Bondita from many days.

My trail of thoughts was interrupted by a sweet voice asking me, "Pati babu, are you happy with me now? How did you like my surprise?".

"Yes Bondita, I am so happy, I can't even express it in words. Bravo Bondita, bravo!", I expressed my joy cheerfully with moist eyes. She felt contented at my compliment and giggled. Our chortle was interrupted by Manorama who requested me to take Bondita away from that place. However, my stubborn little wife was reluctant to move even an inch. Ever since I brought Manorama home, Bondita started growing more stubborn day by day. Not since I brought Manorama, but I can say, from the day of our first wedding anniversary, when I rejected to accept her as my wife in front of the whole village, she grew adamant to gain my acceptance.