Chapter-37- Bondita Welcomes Her Krishna (Part-4); Innocent Confessions

(Note: This chapter includes a song from Carnatic music, which is widely performed by Bharatnatyam dancers. Bondita's emotions are conveyed through the song. So, it would be better if you listen to it while reading, for a better effect. This is an awfully long chapter but hope you will like it. Happy reading :))

"Aunty", I continued, "I have understood everything you told about women's nature and also figured out where I had gone wrong. However, please stop stitching those flowers to Bondita's hair as it can damage her hair and cause pain. Instead, why don't you coil this garland across the length of her braid and secure it with pins at both ends?", I suggested while showing the jasmine garland that I made out of a basket of individual flowers.

To my surprise, I saw Bondita giving a subtle smile indicating that she liked the idea, although she did not feel like looking at me. Mrs. Iyer stopped her activity in the middle to take a look at me for a second. She then caressed Bondita's cheek from behind and said laughing, "Your sakha babu will not even let an ant sting you, Bommi ma". Saying this, she raised her hands in the air in my direction and withdrew them while twisting her palms, and pressed her knuckles against her temples, thus cracking them. It is an Indian gesture of removing the evil eye. She then ran her ring finger along the bottom line of her eye, thus taking some kohl onto her finger and with it, touched the area below Bondita's ear, placing a black spot there. The people of our country believe that such practices can ward off evil eyes.

I noticed that Bondita gave a huge smile this time, still looking towards the floor. However, the very next second she blew her cheeks once again. "Oh God", I exclaimed silently.

After they were done with decorating Bondita's braid, Mrs. Iyer left and Bondita escaped to her room, not giving me a chance to talk. In all the fuss that was going on in her mind, she forgot that her room is not somewhere on the moon but just a few yards away and Anirudh Roy Chowdhary can easily reach there if he wishes to. Apparently, I followed her to her room.

She stood in front of the mirror admiring her floral braid while gently caressing it. The entrance to her bedroom gets the side view of the mirror stand and so of the person standing in front of it. I knocked on the door thrice. Thrice is our code- the secret that is exclusive to Anirudh and Bondita. She didn't look at me but turned towards the wall with her back facing me.

"Won't you invite me inside, Bondita? I have something to say.", I said.

"Invite? What are you expecting me to do sakha babu; to come with a plate of burning camphor or a garland?", she quipped.

"Whichever you please.", I chuckled.

I noticed that she was miffed once again from her bulged cheeks as she turned her head to one side to speak to me, and still not facing me.

"Okay, fine. As fire is already standing before me, I would prefer garland.", I said, to which she turned around to glare at me.

"I don't have one.", she responded.

"It's okay Bondita. I can just come inside without anything, if you allow.", I said trying hard to control my laughter.

"I asked you to do so long back. It is you who didn't get the meaning of my statement properly. I said, you don't need a special invitation or permission to enter into my room, you can just walk in.", she explained.

I went inside and without wasting much time I made up, "Bondita, your floral braid is so good. Tell me how did I make the garland? Is it okay? Or do you want me to get a new one done by Laxmi kaki?"

"There is no need for that, sakha babu. You did it wonderfully in the first attempt itself. You are an all-rounder and I am proud of you.", she said smiling, slowly coming back to her normal self.