Chapter-85: Not the First Night but The First Date

"Hey Durga ma! Now what will you do Bondita? First of all in his presence you cannot stop yourself from melting. On top of that, you have to spend one entire night with him in a weird set up like this..."

These were the words she was dramatically saying to herself standing in front of the mirror; by the time I entered the room.

Although her words pleased me very much, I felt bad for putting her in such an awkward situation. It would have been good if things didn't take such a dramatic turn where I have to get her out of her house without making any official relationship. To say, we both shared a pure deep bond of love which is better known only to our hearts. But if the world asks how we are related to each other, we didn't have anything to answer at that point.

We had put up an act of wife and husband before the world to save ourselves from disgrace, but cheating a noble woman like Mrs. Kali bothered us too much. So, on the morning of our supposed-to-be wedding night, Bondita and I had decided to reveal our true identities to the old lady and stop the preparations going on for our union.

If by any chance the old lady gets to know our truth from an outside source, she would feel cheated and may never dare to help or trust anyone again. And once the people around come to know that Bondita and I aren't yet married, this whole thing of wedding night will sound inappropriate and can put us in a disgraceful state, although we know to guard our honour even in the privacy of a closed room. Bondita being a woman is particularly prone to the danger of being severely maligned.

However, all our attempts went in vain when Mrs.Kali didn't let us speak anything. She spent the first half of the day at the temple where some spiritual discourse was taking place and made herself unavailable to us. Yet, she made sure that the arrangements of our wedding night took place properly. I wonder what kind of a lady she is! The things she had been doing for us are pushing us into a lifelong debt.

Coming back from the temple, she got busy with her tenants, the accounts related to school and other stuff. Finally, late in the evening when she was free, I initiated the conversation. Although I saw that she was a little off guard, I had decided to reveal everything about us.

"Thakuma, we would like to tell you something important; a truth which we have been...."

"Son, can I talk to you tomorrow. My head is aching for quite some time now. I will go and rest", she expressed her inconvenience. There's another thing that I observed with old people; they get annoyed too soon and often doesn't keep the patience to fully listen to what the other person is saying. Perhaps, their bodies don't cooperate.

"Shall I call the doctor?", I asked concernedly.

"Yes please.", Bondita urged me, "You call the doctor, meanwhile I will make an ayurvedic paste which my mother used to make for aches."

"You are not going to do any such thing now.", thakuma snapped at us, "Why are you still here anyway? There's only one and half hour left for the auspicious time of your union. Get ready quickly. This is the first time I am seeing a couple who are not enthusiastic about their wedding night and want to waste their time on an old lady."

"When you are not feeling well, how can we think about anything else?", we expressed our concern.

"In a household with old people these things are pretty common. You think I can be active like you guys all the time? I am just having a normal headache which should be fine with some rest. I have Laboni, Kamla and Bisnu to help me if there's anything. Anyway isn't it better for all of us to retire to our rooms early today, so that both of you can enjoy your night of love freely?", the old lady teased us amidst all the seriousness of the situation and I mentally brought my hand to my forehead.