Chapter 27- Walls Of Self-respect

Two weeks passed and Bondita almost finished her half yearly exams. On the night before the last exam when I was checking Bondita's bag to ensure that she had kept all the things necessary for the next day's exam, I found a form and a message from her teacher. It read,

"Dear parent/guardian,

Our school has organized an educational tour during these Christmas holidays to Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram). The duration of the trip would be three days, starting from 22nd of December to 24th December. The school would provide the children with food and ensure their safety. Hence we request you to send your child on this trip and allow him/her to learn many things which they might not get to study in classroom. The amount to be paid for the travel is 'one hundred rupees' per head, payable at the school office. The last day to pay the amount is 18th December. For any further queries feel free to contact me or the Principal. Once you pay the money and confirm your child's travel, we will let you know the list of things your child has to bring while also giving the itinerary of the tour. We urge you not to miss this chance and encourage your child to participate.

Thanks and regards,

Gracy Andrews

(Class teacher, VIII-B)."

"'Eighteenth of December', I uttered. It means tomorrow is the last date to pay the amount for the tour. Then why didn't Bondita tell me anything till now?", I thought.

"Bondita....Bondita....", I called, a little irritated over her carelessness.

She came running and on seeing those papers in my hand, her questioning eyes started to reflect tension.

"Wh..why did you call me sakha babu?", she stammered.

"When will you get rid of the habit of postponing things until the last moment? Are you not aware of the educational tour that's being organized by your school?", I questioned seriously while showing her the papers in my hand.

As usual, she bent her head down clearly stating that she purposely hid this from me.

"Look at me, Bondita. I don't like it when you bow your head, whatever the reason might be.", I said sternly.

As she lifted her face up to look at me, I continued, "Now tell me why did you hide this note all these days? Your teacher sent this note ten days back. If I didn't come across this today, you might have lost the opportunity to go on an excursion with your friends, isn't it?"

Bondita then reluctantly spoke, "Sakha babu, I don't want to go in the first place. So I think there is no need to scold me regarding this."

"Why is that, Bondita? Why do you want to miss such a nice opportunity?", I asked her with disappointment.

"What is so nice about it, sakha babu? Anyway I have done very well in the exams and you will be proud when I get my results. My aim is to become a barrister and not a traveler.", she explained.

I sighed heavily and made her sit on the wooden recliner in the front verandah; while I knelt down to meet her eyes. I then stated, "Bondita, your aim should not be just becoming a barrister but an all-round development of your personality. You should grow up to become a complete individual. For that, you should explore the world and experience every little joy of life. This is my wish and vision for you."

As I spoke these words, I saw her eyes welling up and was taken aback. "What was making her cry? She should feel bad if at all I oppose her from going, but why now?", I thought.

While exploring the different possibilities of her worry, it struck my mind that she must probably be afraid to go all by herself to an unknown place without her mother or me. Once this thought came to my mind, an unknown fear gripped my heart as well. So far, I haven't thought about the fact that Bondita will have to stay away from home for three days. Rather, I was afraid that I would have to send her away from me for three long days.