Chapter-50: Anirudh's Replica Bondita

(Recap: Anirudh went to Krishnanagar for some work and saw Bondita with Tapur on the river bank. Standing under a gulmohor tree, he eavesdrops on their conversation and misunderstands that Bondita loves some one else. Then....)

"Look there, didi", I heard Tapur yelling.

I froze wherever I stood, thinking that I was caught. I got afraid that I would give in to my emotions if I speak to Bondita, which would be very inappropriate, as she had planned to move on. I shut my eyes tight and searched for a way to handle the situation. I saw only two options- either to surrender to my emotions or act cold and continue the drama that I started in London.

However, when I didn't see anyone coming towards me, I opened my eyes to look at what they were doing. Bondita and Tapur ran towards a woman who was walking into the river, unaffected by the life around her, as if she was possessed by some spirit. The young woman wore a shimmering dress, covering her head with duppatta. The striking jewellery on her body gave an impression that she was from an affluent family.

Bondita dragged her towards the bank, breaking her trance. The girl was startled. The next moment, she fell on her knees and began to cry.

"Miss, what happened? Where was your consciousness while walking into the river?", enquired Bondita.

The woman wiped her tears and plastered a forceful smile on her face, showing that she was alright. Yet, Bondita was not someone to leave the matter so easily. She compelled the woman to share her problem.

"See, I am barrister Bondita Das. I am ready to help you if there is anything that you need. You can confide in me.", she assured.

"Are you really a barrister?", the woman asked in surprise.

"Why do you think I would lie? Well, yes. I am a barrister; probably the first lady barrister in Bengal. If you still cannot believe, I can show you my card. Should I?"

My chest raised in pride, listening to the words, 'the first lady barrister of Bengal'.

The woman then explained, "I didn't mean it that way. I just couldn't believe my ears. I hope you won't mind."

"That is absolutely fine. In fact, sometimes even I couldn't believe that I became a barrister. I didn't even know that there was an option in life called education. It's all the blessing of my sakha babu. Without him, I am nothing.", Bondita told with a grin.

My eyes brimmed with tears when I heard 'sakha babu' from her mouth after six years.

"Now you tell me, what problem have you encountered that compelled you to think about ending your life?"

"Love.", replied the woman.

"How can love be a problem? It is a boon, a blessing.", Bondita said.

"You are right; but what if we cannot share a life with our beloved? What if the society stands as a hurdle for love? Isn't it a curse to love someone and marry another? Such a situation is nothing less than death.", questioned the woman.

All three of us listening to her were taken aback.

The lady went on to express her grief, "While the core of life yearns for union, human minds aim for separation. At first we have parted ways with Mother Nature. We called the people living close to Nature as uncivilized and the ones draped in the robe of material luxuries as civilized. Then, we went on to draw lines between one another on the basis of economic status, religion, caste and the worst of all, on the grounds of skin colour too. There will come a day in future, when we will construct walls within our homes too. Then, even the four members of a family will live like strangers. Instead of living such a life, it would be better to die and unite with Allah."