Chapter-7: A Day Out In Tulsipur (Part-I)

It took us ten good days to recover from our physical and mental wounds completely. All through this week, we had been only merrymaking. I purposely did not send Bondita to school because I felt that I have been pressurizing her too much regarding studies since many days, which can prove harmful to her education. I have always believed that learning should be a joyful process and not a stressful journey. However, in the process of securing her future, I went overboard with my strictness and I want to rectify my mistakes. Moreover, the doctor also said that children need a good environment to grow up into complete individuals; but because of our marriage, Bondita lost the fun of childhood. So, I decided to return her all the fun and pleasures of childhood to whatever extent it is possible.

There cannot be a better time than this because I was restricted from going to court till my feet recovered. So, I sent a leave letter to the principal of the school through Batuk, stating the condition of Bondita and requesting for leave. Fortunately, he agreed as Bondita stood as a topper in the last examination. Every day I used to take notes from Batuk and write it down with my own hands for Bondita, while she used to play my teacher and explain me all that I have written in her notes. In this way, she used to study through the student-teacher game where I played the role of a student and Bondita my teacher.

Apart from this game, Bondita made me play all the village games in which she is an expert and I also taught her many of my favorite games like chess, caroms and all. I wanted to teach her tennis as well, but she was determined to not let me strain my feet until they are completely fine. So I had to temporarily postpone that idea. It's been many days since I played tennis. Ever since I married Bondita, I hardly got any time to go to the club and hence I had almost forgotten the game. However, I don't want to lose my grip on the game at any cost and thus want to resume playing as soon as possible. Moreover, the joy of playing tennis will be doubled if my partner is Bondita. I smiled broadly at the thought.

I was overwhelmed imagining myself losing to her and getting lost in her victory celebrations. Yes, I want her to always win, no matter with whom she competes; even if it is me. Let it be a simple game played for fun, any competition, career related exams, life's tests or whatever it is, I want her to win. For that sake, even if I have to lose, I will gladly do that.

"From when did 'defeat' become so dear to you, Mr. Anirudh Roy Choudhary? , I thought looking at myself in the mirror while combing my silky thick hairs. To be frank I don't know the answer. Generally, I never like to lose; and so far I haven't lost in any task that I have taken up. But if I have to compete with Bondita, then I don't want to win at all. While I was lost in my thoughts, I heard her anklets sound. She was walking towards my room while calling me.

As she entered the room, she uttered in annoyance, "Pati babu, aren't you ready yet? Now come on, make it fast. Otherwise we will not have time to sightsee the entire Tulsipur."

"Bondita, we are going for an outing in Tulsipur and not Calcutta. Just a half day is enough to tour the entire Tulsipur.", I said laughing.

She bowed her head down sadly. Immediately I understood that she wants to spend the whole day out of the house. I gently held her shoulders and made her to look at me. Then I assured her that we won't be returning home anytime before sunset, to which she giggled and clapped her hands in joy.

I smiled too and said, "Let's go", while taking her hand into mine.

We descended the staircase holding hands while the faces of kaka and others lit up with happiness seeing us that way. I have already informed kaka about our plan and he readily agreed. Why wouldn't he, when he loves his Bondita bahu so much. Recently when I asked him to spare Bondita from doing all the household chores until she turns eighteen, as those works can burden her childhood, he became serious at first, but then, he accepted on one condition; that is, only Bondita should light the lamps in the temple of our house and offer prayer services to Goddess Durga daily in the morning and evening. Bondita and I were very glad on hearing that while she readily accepted it as she loves to worship Durga ma.