Chapter-62: ANIRUDH PERFORMS SOMERSAULTS IN LOVE

It took a moment for me to believe that I indeed read Bondita's letter and it was not my imagination. The whole thing was so incredible, like a beautiful dream. I put on my reading glasses and went through the letter once again while stroking the paper frequently to ensure that it was real.

"Did Bondita really choose me as her partner for life? Did she propose me for marriage?", I uttered, smiling and shedding happy tears at the same time.

In the overwhelming state of the mind, my body ceased to move. For a few minutes I sat there without any movement, holding the paper close to my chest. The tranquil state was probably a preparation mechanism devised by the body to handle the upcoming tsunami of love. I witnessed disturbances taking place in the depths of my heart. New desires sprung up.

I wanted to hear more about me from Bondita. It seemed like the letter was too short. I wanted it to continue endlessly. I wished for a continuous shower of love, when all that I got felt like just a pail of water. That was when I remembered her diary and ran upstairs to read what it contained. This time, I made sure to latch the door to avoid any kind of interruption. Soon after, I grabbed the diary and continued from the point where I had last stopped.

"12:00PM

I am done with the special class. I just changed my dress and sat at the study table, sipping coffee. The smell of 'kaapi' brings you even closer to me. What could be a better time to talk to you than this?"

As I read this, I sternly uttered, "When did you stop drinking milk and switched over to coffee? Children aren't supposed to drink coffee, you know."

"If you get to know that I am drinking coffee, what would your reaction be? I can very well guess.", read the next line, taking me by surprise.

"You would become serious and say in a bold voice that children should not drink coffee. Isn't it? But I am not a child anymore, dear sakha babu. I am nineteen. It was only in my eighteenth year that I started drinking coffee. So, chill.

Alright; coming to how my day went, there is nothing very special. Yet, I am so happy because of the news of child marriage restraint act. Amidst all the happiness, a thought is constantly coming to my mind. What if I didn't become a child bride and get married to you? Where and how would my life be?

Although we don't want to, we must still admit the fact that child marriage has been a boon in my life. I am indeed blessed to get married to 'YOU'. Lest, who would've taken care of this fatherless girl? A girl is not wanted by anyone except to get their jobs done. There are very few men like you and my father who would really respect women. If I was not married in childhood, I should not have got an opportunity to study, to fly and be free. My voice should've been suppressed over a period of time, in spite of my stubbornness. I should've been imprisoned in the vicious cage of this patriarchal society. And in the process, I should have chosen death over losing myself every moment."

"Bonditaaa...", I nervously took her name.

"So, ironically, the social evil called child marriage freed me from such hell. My pati babu, barrister Anirudh Roy Chowdhary, by marrying me very early in life, had saved me not only from the practice of sati but from the worst life that I was bound to get. It is for this reason I call you my angel and I consider myself indebted to you.

In this lifetime I will not ask the mother Goddess for anything else. She has given me everything by giving you, just you. If you are there, everything is there. May be due to this reason, I didn't trust the words of your letter. I am able to see the intention and purpose behind it. From the last four years, every morning after prayer, I would open your letter and read.