Chapter-56: The Masquerade and the Escape

"I thought we are already married, aren't we, pati babu?", Bondita asked, not turning her gaze away from me.

"Of course, yes. This bond of ours is not of today but very ancient.", I admitted in a daze.

"Oh my goodness, so this is the girl who is the torchbearer of your vision, the one whom you married years ago?", asked Indroneel in surprise, bringing us back to our senses.

While I shied away from answering, Bondita took the lead and said, "You guessed it right. This is my pati babu and I am his wife Bondita."

I looked at her in awe as my mind began thinking, "Did she really mean it or is it too much of me to think like that?"

Looking at my perplexed expression, she restructured her statement like, "I want to say that, I was his child bride whom he set free."

We were so invested in our conversations that we didn't realise when we reached our destination. Indra parked the car a good distance away from the venue so that people wouldn't doubt our identity. I helped Bondita to get down the car as she covered her face with a veil. I also asked her to hold my hand firmly so that she wouldn't trip over any obstacle on the road. But my mischievous Bondita was not someone who would let things go easily and hence refused to hold me.

"Bondita, hold my hand and walk slowly, or else you will fall down.", I warned.

"Until sometime ago you were asking me to leave your hand and sit afar. While now, your singing a different tune altogether. Why do you want things to happen according to your wish always?", Bondita reasoned with me, showing a little annoyance.

I wanted to explain but there was not much time. Moreover, no amount of my reasoning would get the work done if she was deliberately trying to trouble me. Hence, I too was left with no choice but to become the rakshas babu to my badmaash Bondita.

"Will you hold or not?", I sternly asked.

She also said in a firm tone, "I will not."

The next moment, I wrapped one of my arms around her shoulders, pulling her close to me. In order to maintain the balance I had clasped my free hand with hers. She was shocked at first but soon a subtle smile crept on her face. Her smile relieved me from the guilt that I felt for holding her so close to me against her will. However, I had to admit that, inwardly I too felt elated at our closeness. While we were meddling with each other, poor Indroneel felt left out and walked towards the destination silently holding his harmonium.

After taking a few steps, I released Bondita from my grip while still holding her hand. Even though I had a reason for my impulsive behaviour, forcing someone against their will was not my thing and it can never be justifiable, even though that person is very close to me. For which, I had to apologise at any cost.

"I am sorry for holding you against your wish. My intention is to make you walk carefully without letting you fall. When you denied to give your hand, I had to take the initiative.", I confessed.

To which, Bondita replied, "Never mind, sakha babu. I was trying to tease you by letting you know the taste of your own medicine. In fact, I feel very happy that you held my hand voluntarily. If my mischief can lead to such pleasures, then I will always be mischievous.". She giggled saying this.

Well, if she was having fun teasing me, then why should I back off? I too countered her statement saying, "This time I just held you by your shoulders. If you play with me like this again, I will lift you in my arms. And let me tell you, I will not even feel sorry for my act then. Promise (shotti)."

Bondita gave me a shocking look from behind the veil with her wide eyes, while I tried hard to gulp down my laughter. Before going I had also instructed Bondita to not go out of my vicinity except when needed, so that I can make sure of her safety. Thus having fully prepared for our venture, we stood at the threshold of the Khans' mansion. We were soon joined by the group of musicians who employed us for the evening and stepped inside the house along with them.