Chapter-24: Bondita Goes To Court

{Note: This track is to show how deep rooted the evil of caste discrimination is, in the Indian blood. I don't intend to offend any caste or religion or comment on anyone's food habits. This is written only to condemn such discrimination through the character Anirudh Roy Chowdhary. All the situations written here are purely imaginary and fictious. Only the problem is real.}

"I too will come with you, sakha babu. Please don't say no.", she pouted while requesting me to take her along, to court.

A few days after my scuffle with Murugesan, we reached the day of the final hearing of their case. Bondita wanted to see how I will prove Chenni innocent. She had been insisting me since the previous evening but I was rejecting on the grounds that she had school. The case would be finished within an hour's time and later Bondita would regret being absent to her classes as she would get bored staying at home the whole day. I made her understand the same and also promised to tell her everything about the case, once we both return home, but she outwitted me with her reasoning as usual.

"Sakha babu, you want to make me a barrister and one day I should solve cases like you. Where else can I gain such knowledge from? Only if I keep coming to court every now and then, I'll be able to pick up some practical knowledge, which I can't otherwise get just by attending my science labs or history-civics classes and by simply reading the reading the texts from start to end. Well, if you are worried about my classes, then let me tell you, our schedule today has mathematics, biology, civics, English-I and II and a games period. After coming home from court, you teach me all these subjects. I will be able to cope up. I want to see this Murugesan getting punished. The memory of him blaming and punishing you for a crime that you haven't committed, is still afresh in my mind.", she said.

After listening to all of this, if I still try to argue with Bondita, it will only end me up in trouble. So, I asked her to get ready for court but on a condition that the whole day I will not bring her home. Instead, I will be taking her along with me to wherever I go. She jumped with joy and went to get ready. A few minutes later, she appeared in a simple white floral printed silk skirt and blouse, with a plain white half saree. She was perfectly in sync with the dress code of barristers, although I didn't understand how she knew about it. Actually the rule was strict for the male barristers, while women can dress up in any color of their choice even though white is more preferable. I kept staring at her in admiration as she resembled the goddess of knowledge, Saraswati. While she walked towards me, I imagined her coming to me with a black coat and white collar, until her sound brought me back to reality.

"Sakha babu, shall we move now?", she asked.

"Haa...hmm...Sure Bondita, why not? Before that, tell me why did you dress up in all white?", I stammered feeling a little awkward for day dreaming.

"Now do you have problem with my dress color as well, sakha babu?", she asked by placing her hands on either side of her waist.

Of late she has been frowning a little too much and I cannot deny the role of her growing age in contributing to this improvement. So, I overlooked her question with a smile and nodded in a no, while extending my hand towards her, gesturing her to hold it and move on. However, she asked me again, but this time with a shade of disappointment in her tone and face.

"Is this dress not good, sakha babu? This is the only new one right now in my wardrobe which you have gifted me on this diwali."

"It's not like that, Bondita. I was just wondering how did you know that barristers should wear white dress beneath their black gown.", I explained.

"Phew, sakha babu, every day I see you going to court in white shirt and black pants. I have also seen Subbu dada. Won't I understand that much?", she requited.