Chapter-69: Her Safest Place

The dining room at Mrs.Kali's house was a pretty one with mats spread on the floor to sit and wooden stools placed in front to serve the food. By the time we reached, the landlady and her granddaughter were already sitting before their plates waiting for us. During breakfast, Mrs.Kali enquired about Bondita's health while I asked her about my job. She then went on to explain about their school which was established by her late husband, who was a teacher at a British school.

"When master ji was teaching at the English school, he didn't like their discrimination. Moreover, the fact that English education was available only to the Britons and the Indian elite made him feel sorry for the large masses of common Indians who also have a right to western education. According to him, western education will open up insights into the British ways which will enable us achieve freedom sooner and also broaden our perception, helping us to come evolve from regressive thinking. So, he had decided to establish a school of his own that imparts Indian values along with opening doors to the western liberal thought, where everyone who wants to study can join irrespective of their caste, religion, gender and social status.", she told.

Bondita and I looked at each other in delight for finding someone who also shared similar thoughts like us.

"That's a great initiative.", we exclaimed in unison.

"I am so glad to know that grandfather holds such noble thoughts.", I expressed my happiness.

"He was certainly a man of noble thoughts. It was due to this reason I never opposed him in any of the decisions he took. For, I know they will always be in favour of the welfare of the people, if not in our favour."

"Not in your favour, means? Did his decisions effect your lives in anyway?", Bondita questioned curiously.

"My child, the people who put others before themselves will always have to compromise on many things. For example, master ji was from a very rich family. He had so much of wealth in his name. However, to establish this school he spent majority of his property, leaving us with this house and some meagre amount of money to sustain. Also, his family disowned him for going against the tide and doing things which they couldn't think of. As a result, after his death, my son and I are left with no relatives. But his good deeds have always surrounded us with noble people like our tenants, who are nothing less than our family now. Hence, I don't have any complaints against him. Besides, these qualities are what makes me love him more and more."

Bondita's gaze shifted towards me, as she smiled proudly.

"What should I infer from that smile? Was she feeling proud of me? Or she wanted to say that she too loves me? Come on Bondita, say it loud.", I pleaded internally.

"Children, always remember one thing", Mrs.Kali continued, "When we do something good for others, even if it is by compromising our own selves, we get immense happiness which cannot be described in words. And if we come across people who are able to put this thought into practise, we must surely support them. Understand?"

We agreed.

"I feel grateful for getting an opportunity to contribute my share to the mission commenced by master ji.", I said.

"I too want to do something.", Bondita expressed her desire.

"Absolutely; I suggest you to go to school with Raja and study. That will be the greatest contribution from your side. Because masterji says that everyone has the right to education, be it men or women. Laboni also went to school.", said Mrs.Kali.

I thanked her a million times in my mind. She was definitely playing the cupid in our story, I must agree. I felt elated thinking that even during the duty time I will not have to separate from Bondita.