Chapter-60: Bondita's Fury

Chandrachur seized the paper from my hands and gave it to thakuma, who was very much pleased to set me free from the responsibility of her granddaughter. The crowd eventually dispersed, after being fully satisfied with the show. It was only Sumati ma who thought of giving me something in the form of a mother's blessing by placing a hand on my head, when everyone else had succeeded in snatching my world away from me. All this while, we failed to notice that a pair of grief-stricken eyes was watching me intently with anguish. The owner of those eyes appeared before us prior to the leave-taking of the Das family and did something unexpected.

She snatched the paper from thakuma and tore it into pieces. Although this act of hers shocked her family, I felt extremely happy, as if it was an assurance from her side that she wouldn't go with anyone and will continue to be my responsibility forever. A peaceful smile found its presence on my lips instantly.

"What did you do, Bondita?", screamed thakuma, "At last, with much difficulty, we have discovered a way to get rid of Anirudh from your life and you destroyed it?"

"What is the use of this paper when the concerned person is not even a part of your granddaughter's life?", she asked, feigning indifference.

This declaration surprised everyone including myself and kaka.

"Was I not a part of her life? How could she even say that?", I thought, feeling dejected.

"Coming to the responsibility part, he got rid of it six years ago in London itself, when he left me alone in an unknown country without even telling me a word. Since then, we are not a part of each other's lives. Then, from where arose the need for 'his' consent to my marriage?", Bondita spoke further, as her intense angry gaze was fixed on me.

When Chandrachur was about to interrupt, she shouted, "I will not listen to another word, Chandrachur. Take my mother and grandmother home quickly. Your wife is waiting there. I will have to settle my scores with some people here to permanently get rid of them." While saying this, once again her gaze shifted towards me, causing immense pain to me.

After the Das family had left, she asked, "Can I please have a few words with barrister babu in private, dear kaka?"

Her countenance was not cheerful like the normal times but extremely serious. The usual mischief in her eyes was replaced by outrage. She looked at me with indignation as she asked kaka for some space.

"May the mother Goddess give you strength, dear child.", kaka blessed Bondita.

"Today, it's not me but your son who is in need of strength and blessings of the goddess.", she spoke without taking her eyes off from me.

I was scared at this sudden change in her temperament, as much as I was worried for her. Once we were left alone, I asked, "Bondita, are you alright? You seem to be disturbed..."

"Are you able to notice emotions in an inanimate object too? It is interesting."

"What do you mean?"

"These things are quite trivial for an extremely substantial mind like yours to listen and understand. So it will be better if you do not enter into an unfamiliar terrain, barrister babu."

Her uncoordinated speech intensified my worry further, in addition to the remoteness that resonated in her call. If she were in her normal mood, she would've addressed me as sakha babu or biristera babu but not barrister babu which reminds me of the distance between us. I wanted to know at the earliest the matter that was bothering her, and do my best to exterminate her problem. Consequently, I asked,

"Bondita, what happened? What's bothering you?"

She laughed sarcastically before saying, "What do you think can happen to a lifeless thing?"