Chapter-77: Anirudh's Ruse- The Rasalila

Early in the morning, on the day of janmashtami, I was summoned by Mrs.Kali to the garden. "The day after tomorrow, that is on dashami, I have arranged for your nuptial night.", she declared, making me choke on the air I was inhaling.

"Nuptial night!!?? What is the need of it?", I cried in shock.

"You're the only man on this earth asking, what is the need of a wedding night. It is only due to this reason you became the laughing stock of the neighbourhood and also made poor Rani a prey. The women told me about the bathing fiasco. Some are taking pity on Rani, while the others are calling her unlucky that she didn't get her wifely rights even after seven days of marriage."

"How ridiculous is their thinking! Within seven days ....." "Thakuma, I neither care about what the world thinks nor allow anyone to interfere in my personal life."

"What about Rani then? You don't even care about her?", asked Mrs.Kali, "She wants to be loved by you in every way. This will put an end to all her complaints, tantrums and inexplicable mood swings. You both have stayed away from each other for enough of time. Now, you have to redefine your relationship and invite new joys into your life."

"You may wonder why this old lady is so interested in your personal affairs.", she continued, "The reason is I like both of you very much. You look so divine together. The purity of your minds and your unadulterated love story had touched me deeply. Haven't I told that you both look like Ram-Sita? When I got an opportunity to bring Ram and Sita together, why will I not take it?"

Moreover, you're not with your family. If situations were better, your parents should have taken the necessary steps. But somehow destiny has introduced you to me, so it feels right for me to take this responsibility into my hands. Still, if you don't like my interference, I will stop. You have every right to express yourself freely."

Mrs.Kali Majumdar was one of the kindest persons I have ever met. She was one of a kind: sensible, warm, broadminded, sharp, bossy and soft at the same time. She was just the perfect example of a grandmother. Her interference in our lives can never be annoying. In fact, I found her as a blessing that had come our way in the times of gloom. The only problem was she didn't know the truth about our marriage.

With guilt filled eyes and a tone of gratitude, I said, "Dear thakuma, I must say how grateful we are to you for sheltering, guiding and honouring us. I will never unlike your interference in my matters, because, in these few days I have got to feel the affection of a grandmother which I have never experienced in my life before. Yet, I am thinking about Rani. We haven't yet expressed our love to each other in words. Then how can we spend a night together?"

"May I ask what did you do all these nights? During the day I understand that both of you are busy. But what were you doing during the nights other than sleeping?", asked a thoroughly annoyed thakuma.

"Rani is not letting me speak. Whenever I want to propose, she would deliberately change the topic and escape. She neither opens up nor lets me confess.", I grumbled.

"Yet, you know that she loves you?"

"Of course."

"Then express it on the night of phool sajya. There cannot be a better time than the night of union. I am sure she wouldn't deny then."

I remained thoughtful while thakuma's weak eyes cast their sharp gaze on Meera and a few other girls gossiping at a distance.

"Well, I think I have found a solution. My experience says that it will perfectly work. Rani will come running to you, to pour her heart out. If there is mischief, then there are ways to check it too.", she declared with a chuckle.