Chapter-71: 'A for Anirudh or ...? Anirudh dislikes an Ant

{Note: Kindly overlook the typos and unconscious errors as I didn't go through the draft thoroughly. Thanks.}

The principal took us to school where I was asked to complete some nominal formalities, after which I was shown my class. The sight of those children brought the memory of my own kids at home, twitching my heart. I considered myself to be the most irresponsible caretaker. I know they would be missing me badly as we never stayed apart in the last six years. Especially, the youngest one who has never seen the face of her parents thinks that I am her father. I only wished that no one should treat them as orphans in my absence or shouldn't deprive them of their share of love, rights and respect. While these thoughts were going on in my head, Bondita held my hand and pressed it reassuringly.

"Are you missing your children?", she asked. I nodded.

"Worry not, barrister babu. I am sure they are mature enough to understand things because they hold the values of your upbringing. Moreover, your entire family is there to take care of them and I don't think they are so heartless to hurt children"

I smiled a little before asking, "Am I a bad caretaker?"

"Not at all; in fact, there cannot be a better guardian than you. I must say, those children are fortunate enough to have found you as their caretaker. I heard that children learn things by copying. In that case, from this entire incident of your exile, they will learn many good things like how to obey elders, follow rules and be honest.", Bondita assured, making me smile widely this time.

"Well, sir babu, where should I sit now?", she asked.

"Go to the last bench."

"I don't like to sit in the last bench.", she whined.

"You're tall, big and most importantly, insignificant in this premises. So go and take the last seat.", I commanded in a tone of seriousness, totally getting into the shoes of a teacher.

"Insignificant?", she cried, opening her mouth wide.

"Of course; did you come to study all over again or what?"

"Then why did I come?"

My lips curved into a mischievous smile as I thought, "You came to give me company and stay close to me." However, I told, "I will let you know that shortly."

Making a wry face, she went and sat in the last bench. I remembered her childhood when I prepared Bondita and her friends to pass the test for getting admission in the school. I felt so indebted to Mrs. Kali for bringing back the memories of those good old days.

Meanwhile, a stir arouse in the classroom regarding Bondita. The children were gossiping, murmuring and laughing as she went and sat in the suggested place.

"Good morning children.", I greeted, trying to grab their attention. Everyone along with Bondita stood up and uttered, "Good morning master.", stretching each and every word of the sentence for a long time.

Subsequently, some enthusiastic students loudly commented about Bondita coming to school at this age. Their comment gave way to an important life lesson which I thought was the best thing to start the class with. I was quite confident that my story will reach their minds as they weren't too young to be unable to understand. They were apparently ten.

Thus I began, "Dear children, would you like to listen to a story quietly?"

"Yesssss maaasssterrrr", came the reply.

"Good.", I went on, "Once there was a parrot. When she was a baby, her mother never let her eat on her own or fly. She always stayed beneath her mother's wings and also ate from her. As she grew a little older, her mother taught her to peck guavas. Gradually, the little parrot learnt to eat on its own. A few days later, when she grew even bigger, she learnt to flutter its wings and one fine day when she was big enough, began flying. Like that, with each passing day she learnt many new things from searching food, tracing the route to her home, discovering trees with finest fruits, techniques to pluck them, et cetera."