Chapter-44: A New Dawn

It was the morning of first of July, 1931. I stood at the large window of my study room thinking about the incident that happened a week ago in Madras. Her tear-stricken face was coming to my mind again and again. Our meeting was very accidental which wasn't supposed to happen that way. When I saw her fainting, I got so scared. I rushed to hold her and she fell unconscious in my arms. Before she gained consciousness, I boarded my train, leaving my heart with her. I am still worried about her, even though Subbu told that she was alright and reached home safely.

In the previous week, I was invited by the Women's India Association for a felicitation regarding the legal aid I had provided in their fight against the Devdasi system and women trafficking. Actually, I have a very meagre role to play in this, except that, I came forward to help them when many lawyers refused to do so.

In fact, Doctor Meenakshi was the real heroine of the movement. She broke many stereotypes and fought for the rights of women. Owing to all that she did, the association had nominated her to the Madras Legislative Council as Vice President. After that, she succeeded in introducing a bill to abolish the devdasi practice. Yet, she had been kind enough to make me also a part of their success. In spite of my constant refusals, she insisted on attending the felicitation. So, I had to oblige.

When I was about to return home, due to some agitations, the train to Calcutta got cancelled and I had to stay back. Since I had stayed back, I went to meet my friend Subbu at his office. This time I met his wife Sri Valli too. Although she was in her seventh month of pregnancy, she brought lunch for her husband. Within a few minutes of our interaction I found out that she was as good as Subbu and they are made for each other. I felt extremely happy for my friend. This was how I imagined my Sourabh's life too. Well, God had other plans.

Coming to Sri Valli, she had called me Anirudh dada even before I gave my introduction. It seems Subbu told her so much about me and even showed our photos. This Subbu will simply lift me to the skies and make me great for no reason. I decided to tease him on those grounds and said, "Are you even loving my sister or simply talking about me all the time?"

"Do you think she became pregnant just like that?", he retorted.

"You.....are a stupid", I remarked bashfully, smiling at his answer.

The parents-to-be insisted me to come to their house for Valli's baby shower function, but I politely refused, saying that I have my train that evening. After having a delicious lunch, some clients came to meet Subbu. So, I waited there along with Valli, to tell him a proper goodbye. I also wanted to gift Valli and the baby with something but I was so unprepared then. Only if I had known about it earlier, I should have taken a Benarasi sari, special Bengali homemade sweets and a piece of jewellery for her.

Suddenly, an amazing idea struck my mind. I have seen South Indians offering glass bangles, flowers, sindhoor, clothes, sweets and so on, to a pregnant woman on the day of her baby shower. Without any delay, I went to the nearest shop to get these things. I took some bangles, flowers, sweets and went back to Subbu's office. There, I have seen Valli standing under a guava tree, looking at the guavas. I gave her whatever I brought and apologized for the simple gifts.

"Dada, first of all, you came at this point of time, which in itself is a big deal. Actually, we had planned to invite your family for the naming ceremony of the baby, so that you could meet the little one too. However, God has decided to send you early and make you a part of one of the most important celebrations of my life. Since you have come as the first person from my parents' side, please make me wear these bangles and complete the ritual. You know what, this is supposed to be done by your wife or my sister-in-law, but I will adjust the ritual a little, for your sake.", said Valli.