Chapter-9: Is There No Way Left?

I entered the study with rage possessing every cell of my body and banged my fist hard on the table.

"Aaahh...", I groaned in pain.

Bondita who was following me, screamed from behind, "Pati babu, what are you doing? Why do you always enjoy hurting yourself?". Saying this, she started rubbing my injured hand gently, in order to reduce my pain.

I looked at her helplessly with tears rolling down my cheeks and blurted out my pain.

"What else I can do Bondita, except crying over my helplessness? The pain of my hand will get cured but what about the heart's pain? I can see myself failing miserably in front of this society. I know what's right and wrong but still not able to do anything to stop the wrong things. Will this society ever change for the good? I think I will pass away without seeing the country of my dreams."

"Mind your words, pati babu. Next time if you speak something like passing away and all...I will....I will...I will go away from this house.", she shouted with tears welling up in her eyes and her little nose turning red.

I couldn't help but chuckle seeing her anger and concern.

"Sorry Bondita, I won't speak like that again. Please don't go away leaving me.", I requested making a cute face.

"It's fine then. I won't go anywhere. But why are you talking hopelessly, pati babu? We should think what to do next, instead of losing hopes.", she said and then we both sat there in silence for a while, recollecting what had happened a little while ago.

.............................................

That day, after Bondita had returned home from school, we both went to Kusum's house to talk to her father about her studies and cancelling her marriage. At first we were warmly greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Banerjee.

"Chote Malik(Younger master)...choti malkin(Younger mistress)! Both of you here, in our house?!" exclaimed Banerjee babu in surprise.

"Please come inside.", he welcomed with a smile though his tension was very much evident from his face.

In order to relax him, I said, "Today we have not come here as landlords, but as dada (elder brother) and boudi (elder brother's wife) of your daughter Kusum.".

Mr.Banerjee and his wife felt very happy listening to that.

"We did not understand what you are trying to say, Anirudh Babu.", he stammered.

"I said the same what you have just heard, Banerjee babu. I came to know that Kusum's marriage has been fixed. So, I have come here to fulfill the responsibility of an elder brother.", I uttered.

"Look Banerjee Babu, Kusum is a child who is just twelve years old. Isn't it wrong to get her married at such a fragile age, that too, to a man who is thirty years older than her?. Moreover I heard through Bondita that Kusum wants to study. Why don't you send her to school along with Bondita? If you are thinking about money, I assure that I will bear the expenses of her education. Please call off the wedding and let her study.", I added, joining my hands together as a gesture of sincere request.

"Oh that's great Anirudh Babu. The moment I saw you at the threshold of my house I have understood that you came here with your revolutionary madness. And look, I was right.", he said sarcastically.

I wondered where did the respect that he was showing a few minutes ago vanished. These guys, under the intoxication of blind beliefs and ill customs, fail to see the welfare of their own children. Then how can I expect them to respect me from the bottom of their hearts. Anyway I was not standing there to gain any respect. My sole intention is to call off Kusum's marriage and give her the wings of freedom through education. For fulfilling that, I was ready to bear all sarcasm and taunts.