Chapter-51: Anidita Come Face To Face

At night, while I was about to settle down on the couch of my study room to sleep, the telephone rang. I wondered who it could be, as it was quite unlikely to receive calls at that time of the night. When I said 'hello', there was no response. After enquiring for a couple of times, I understood that it was none other than Bondita. A wave of excitement erupted from within. My heart rate rose instinctively. I can identify Bondita even through her silence.

"Bondita", I uttered.

"Sakha babu", she spoke in a quivering voice, "Finally you took my name with your mouth after six years!?" Her voice indicated that she was crying.

The thought of her tears pricked my heart. Reflexively, water started coming out from my eyes too. I was able to resonate with everything that was going on in her mind. I also knew that she wanted to ask so many questions. Yet, I had decided not to give in to the emotions and become friendly with her again, as that would be a hindrance to her progression. Besides, when I came to know that she was in love with someone, I didn't want to draw her back into my world by reminding her of our past. So, in a serious tone I asked,

"Why did you call?"

"Obviously to talk to you", she said.

"Didn't I tell you not to contact me again, as I am done with your responsibility?"

"This time I called you for love.", she replied reflectively.

"What?", my eyes widened in shock.

Before I could comprehend anything, she stated, "I mean to say that we can never get done with our responsibilities, as they are unending. Ultimately, it is these responsibilities that provide us with a reason to live. Once we are done with them, we will not have a cause to live anymore."

Every word she said was true. Responsibilities will and should not end. Whatever, at that point it was more important to know the reason for her call. Hence, I continued, "Have you called me to tell this?"

"Not exactly. I want your help to unite two lovers.", she said, and explained the whole story of Noor Jahan and the doctor.

Bondita further added that it was not just the problem of two people but that of the country.

"British adopted the policy of divide and rule on the grounds of religion. Ever since Indians gave way to it, the British have been using it every now and then to weaken our freedom movement and nationalist spirit. So, why can't we take this as an opportunity to change people's perspective about religion and in turn contribute to the unification of the country? We may not be able to bring change in the entire country, but we can at least start with our villages and set an example", stated Bondita.

I cannot describe the amount of happiness I felt at that moment to see my student putting her education to the best use. I was extremely proud about her progress. Also, as a person, I fell in love with her character and high-mindedness all over again. There was no way I could deny her request. I was obliged to give whatever she had asked for, because that was our dream, our mission, which I had envisioned to accomplish together with her.

Before I could give my consent, she further went on to say, "Sakha babu, you don't have to worry about our tiffs. Let us keep our personal lives aside and look at this as a chance to change the fate of our country, for which, we need to come together. We shall meet tomorrow and discuss a plan to help those love birds. You may fix the place and time."

"4:00PM at the abandoned bungalow in Deenpur.", I said without a second thought.

Bondita then uttered gleefully, "Thank you, thank you, thank you, sakha babu. After many years I will sleep peacefully tonight."