Chapter-16: Settling In

Our first day in Madras went extremely well at the Iyers house. They were really warm and generous people. Bondita too mingled with them quite well and she even helped Mrs. Iyer in puja, food preparation and everything; while I went with Subbu to shop the necessary items needed for our new house. Everything was ready and we only waited for Sumati ma's arrival. The next morning we went to the railway station to receive kaka and Sumati ma.

We performed a small house warming ritual before entering into our new house. Bondita and her mother liked their part a lot. I took kaka into my portion and enquired, "Kaka, how did you bring Sumati ma? What did you tell to mama and mami?"

"Anirudh, do you think I became a zamindar just like that? I know how to handle things. It is true that Bondita's mami suspected, but I used my power to control her curiosity. I told them that Bondita bahu needs her mother for some time and so I am taking her to the Roy Chowdhary mansion. After all the stupid things they did to our family, I don't think they would dare to step into Tulsipur to check on Sumati.", he replied.

"Hmmm...", I sighed in relief that Bondita's whereabouts are kept a secret.

"Anirudh, I will stay here for a few days with you. I can't live in our mansion without you and Bondita.", kaka declared.

My eyes became moist. Yet, I asked him to go back.

"Kaka, you see this place is not as big as our mansion. I don't think you will be comfortable here. Moreover, if you stay here for a long time, the people there may get a doubt about me and Bondita.", I tried to explain.

"Don't worry Anirudh, I have already instructed Bihari and Koyli to tell that I went to Benaras on a pilgrimage and will return after ten days, in case if anyone enquires. They will take care of Som and Batuk. Binoy will also return from London within four days, so there won't be any problem. Coming to the comforts, nothing is more than you and Bondita for me. If you can live here, I too can live. Please son, again I don't know when we all will live together happily in our mansion", kaka requested.

Unable to control my emotions any further, I hugged him tightly and spoke, "Thanks for the support, kaka. 'Thanks' is a small word for all the help that you are doing. If I will be able to succeed in my mission, then that would be because of you and your constant support for me and Bondita."

"Are you mad Anirudh? If I don't support you, who else will do? Now stop thanking me and get me something to eat. I am so hungry.", kaka ordered.

Before I could go out, Bondita came with two glasses, one glass contained my favourite coffee and the other one had tea for kaka. Kaka felt so happy and started praising his Bondita again.

"You both keep drinking these, I will get the breakfast ready very shortly.", she said and was about to flee from the place but the Iyers stopped her.

They stood at the threshold of our house and knocked the door. I welcomed them inside and introduced my kaka to them. Kaka, Mr. Iyer and Subbu started their light talk while Mrs. Iyer who brought some dishes with her, headed towards the kitchen along with Bondita. I understood that she had brought breakfast for us. After a little while she came with some low wooden stools and laid them out on the floor. Then Bondita came with some copper plates and glasses and placed them before the stools. Later she served the breakfast and invited me and kaka to come. She also called the Iyers to join us in breakfast and they readily agreed.

"It is auspicious to the residents of the new house, if more people have food under their roof on the day of house warming.", declared Mrs. Iyer and their family joined us for the breakfast, while Bondita served. They had invited Bondita to join but she refused as she wanted to have breakfast with her mother.